Parenting after a Loss

Tubal Sterilization

We know 100% that we do not want more children. I have two step-sons and a niece that I raise so when we had Stella I felt like we completed our yours, mine and ours family. I also have chronic hypertension and during the end of my pregnancy I ended up having really high BP and had to be put on bed rest. I ended up having a c-section which was the last thing I wanted until everything went crazy at the end and at that point I just wanted what was best for the both of us. If I had more time to really accept the c-section and plan for it I think I would have had the tubal at the same time.

So with the medical issues and our completed family I know this is right for me but I wanted to see if anyone has any experiences they would share. Would you do it again if you had the choice? How was the recovery?

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tubal Sterilization

• I knew I would have a c-section with DS3 and I considered having a tubal but decided against it. I was worried about something happening to DS3 early on and then not being able to have the option of more children. Now DH and I are at the point where we are sure we don't want any more children no matter what.

During a c-section it would be easier to me to have a tubal but without another surgery a vasectomy is much easier for DH than a tubal would be  for me. DH had a vasectomy a few weeks ago. I've obviously never had either surgery but I watched DH recovery from a vasectomy and my best friend from a tubal. According to them neither one was that bad but the vasectomy recovery appeared by far to be easier. Has your DH considered a vasectomy or is there another reason why it would be a better option for you to take care of permanent birth control?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesabrina69barnes:

I knew I would have a c-section with DS3 and I considered having a tubal but decided against it. I was worried about something happening to DS3 early on and then not being able to have the option of more children. Now DH and I are at the point where we are sure we don't want any more children no matter what.

During a c-section it would be easier to me to have a tubal but without another surgery a vasectomy is much easier for DH than a tubal would be  for me. DH had a vasectomy a few weeks ago. I've obviously never had either surgery but I watched DH recovery from a vasectomy and my best friend from a tubal. According to them neither one was that bad but the vasectomy recovery appeared by far to be easier. Has your DH considered a vasectomy or is there another reason why it would be a better option for you to take care of permanent birth control?

The main reason for me to get a tubal instead of DH getting a vasectomy is expense. I have met my deductible for the year so the proceedure would be free. That might seem like a silly reason I guess to have the surgery but we are still paying on our first daughter's delivery and now we have all the bills from Stella so we can afford much more. My doctor also feels it is best for my health since I have chronic hypertension the bc pills can add weight that I don't need. Some pills can also cause increased blood pressure so I'd have to monitor it and hope it wouldn't affect me.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Does your Dr. do the Essure implants in the Fallopian tubes?  My Dr. does a lot of these now because it is just coils inserted through the cervix into the tubes.  This creates scar tissue to close them instead of the laparoscopic tubal.  Some docs even do them in their office, 3 months after you just have to have a HSG to make sure they are blocked.

When we are done with our family I myself would choose this option.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"