Toddlers: 24 Months+

dreading our next dr visit

When DD went for her 2 year check up she flipped out so bad the nurse couldn't check her ears, she thought maybe she had an ear infection since it didn't hurt, she couldn't get her eye's checked, to get weighed she wouldn't even sit on an infant scale, I had to get weighed, hold her, and get weighed again (she's lucky I was pregnant and my weight was basically public information!).  I've been taking her to DS's appointments, assuming she'd see it's not that big of a deal.  She crys when he gets a shot, and when I took him about 2 weeks ago she got upset in the car telling me the dr's going to hurt him, I try to explain to her no he's not and what goes on, but she actually whined/cried while DS got his height and weight done, DS didn't.

She's going for her visit this week, I asked her today if she knew what the dr was going to do and she said the dr is going to hurt her and make her cry.  I try to explain what's actually going to happen, but it's not getting through.  Do you prep your kids for drs visits?  I'm just dreading this and not looking forward to total embarrassment.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group

Re: dreading our next dr visit

• What about getting her a Drs kit. Like a toy one. That way she can become familiar with the tools and they won't scare her as much. 

I do prep DD for the visit & she has always been fine until recently. Now she understands that she is probably getting a shot so she gets nervous. She has given a problem on the scale before but we usually get her to do it.

Another idea, & I don't know if this is something you can do but what about taking your DH or SO & having them go in w/ her. Maybe if you aren't there she won't get so upset. I know that works for DD sometimes if I'm not present.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD hates the dr now that she can remember she had rec'd shots.  I like to remind her she will get a lollipop and sticker. Then I add another reward like the park or McD's playground. The moment she resists the scale I use the reward as leverage. Fortunately, she did not have vax at her 3yo wellness and the dr could successfully look at her ears and body. She had a positive experience.

The drs kit sounds like a fantastic idea. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with a toy Dr. kit, maybe you could even do role playing with it.  You pretend to be the dr. and she can pretend to be the dr. with you as the patient.

Also, is there any book series that she's really into?  DS loves "Little Critters" so for something like this I would get him a Critters book related to going to the Dr to read leading up to the appt.  That way we could talk about how cool it is that he's just like Critter, etc.

Good luck, I hope it goes well!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD went through a stage of hating the doctor, but that was around the same time she was suffering with a lot of ear infections. I too, held her on the scale, mortified. Had to restrain her to get ears checked, etc. Playing with a doctor kit, reading books about the doctors, and just talking to her seemed to help. We just had her 3yr exam and she was extremely cooperative. I actually even had a talk with her last night about us going in next week to get our flu shot. I told her it was like the other shot she just had and would only hurt for a minute, but the medicine was going to help her not get sick. I also reminded her afterwards she gets a lollipop and sticker, and she was so excited. She's asked a few times since then if we can go get our shot sooner. GL, hope things get easier for you soon!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree with pp about a doctor's kit and practicing with her.  Does she have a lovey or any stuffed toy you could bring along?  I did this the last couple of times and the pedi examined her pink dog first, DD would watch and then it would be her turn.  I explained that the nurse was going to give her nose a tickle (flu mist) and afterward her leg would get a pinch (Hep A shot).  I always ask her, "Is mama going to stay with you the whole time?" and she always says, 'yes'.  I told her afterward she would get to pick out a sticker and beep the car horn (her favorite thing to do :)

I know it's hard, but above all else go in there with a confident attitude.  Children can pick up on these things and if you are dreading it, she will feel it too. 

• You might also look for some online video clips of kids going to the doctor.  I know I did that when DD had her first dentist appointment, I found a clip from an old Sesame Street.

Here's a cute little Elmo interactive video about going to the doctor:

https://pbskids.org/sesame/games/elmo_doctor.html

Maybe the more she sees it the more comfortable she will be. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"