Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Transition to full bed at 20 mos

I posted the other night how we just moved to another state and my 20 mo old will not sleep in her new room at night, naps just fine in there and in her crib during the day though. Well now she started climbing out and fell the other night so weve been napping her in her room during the day and putting her to sleep in our room at night until her new mattress comes on Sunday so we can convert her crib to a full. I know shes capable of sleeping in a full as we did this all summer on vaca- but Ive always laid with her until she falls asleep (not in crib just when we were away.) Im just so worried that at nap time when I leave her in there shes just going to want to play and then we are going to be a totally overtired mess. I bought the safety rail for the bed, put a gate on her door, and baby proofed her room? Night light is in but honestly I think shes more afraid of that than anything as she never had one. Anything else I should think of? My plan is to lay with her for a week or so until she sees her room is ok at night too and then spend less and less time until were doing our routine and thats it. Im trying to be considerate of her fears as we just moved but at the same time I dont want her to think the old rules dont apply and she is going to go to bed in our room every night. Anyone else dealing with change or fears at this age?? (I know Im rambling Im beat sorry!!)
Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.

Re: Transition to full bed at 20 mos

• She will probably play at nap time but she will eventually go to sleep. Be prepared for regression, my child was a wonderful sleeper but some days she is really hard to get down. Today was one of those, I'm ready to pull my hair out. Most the time she goes right down though and stays in her bed through the night.
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • my lo is 26 months but we just switched him (from a crib in one room, to a twin bed in another room) & here was advice i had gotten that worked!!

make the area as close to "normal" for her as possible,,,maybe skip the nightlight if its new & weird...

dont change your routine...i was planning on laying with my lo til he fell asleep but i have found that if we stick to the same routine we always had & just leave the room (thats our routine). once he is used to it in there ill lay & read books etc but for now its: pee, wash hands, brush teeth, new diaper, jammies & get to bed... he stays in there

also,, we have a monitor that we can talk to him on if he gets up,, we can say "go to bed"  & he does... he is a really easy transitioner though... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • & if my lo wakes upset,, we go up & help him back to bed & leave. presto! im amazed at how well it works... i think too much attention to the new change makes it even harder...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"