Breastfeeding

Supply and mastitis.

Two things.

1. Thursday afternoon I figured out I had mastitis and started antibiotics that evening. Before that I had a bleeding cracked nipple so I was pumping that side and nursing the other. It made LO's poops not so great.

2. LO is sick with a cold and has been eating less effectively. Yesterday he perked up and cluster fed all day. He will be six weeks on Tuesday so I think he may have hit that six week growth spurt.

These two things combined seem to have dwindled my supply and I had been working through over supply. I now feel like I don't have enough. Is it the mastitis or did those less effective feedings do me in? Is there hope of fixing it?
Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

Re: Supply and mastitis.

• My supply decreased both times I had mastitis. Both times, it rebounded within a week. Just keep nursing, nursing, nursing, drinking fluids, and try to get some rest.

Oatmeal is a natural supply booster for some women, I eat it every morning.

When I had mastitis, it helped to put a heating pad on the infected breast for 15 min prior to nursing. It really helped so LO could pull out the clog.

Hope you feel better soon!
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Like pp said you can get supply up by nursing very often. You could also get it up by pumping after feedings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"