Infertility

XP: MFI experts please chime in!

Over visiting from 3T knowing that you ladies have a wealth of knowledge and hope you can help!  History is in siggy.

Just got off the phone with the RE about DH's follow up SA after not wonderful numbers at IUI #1.  The f/u showed:

*Count: 47 million

*Motility: 29%

*Morphology: 2%

He gives us a 5-10% chance of success with another IUI and is recommending IVF/ICSI.

Anyone dealing with similar numbers?  What is your plan?  Any thoughts are appreciated.  Still trying to wrap my head around this...

Married: 7/2/11 TTC: 12/2011
Me: 31, PCOS DH: 37, low morph and low counts

4 medicated TI, 1 IUI+Femara, 1 IUI+GonalF = BFNs
IVF #1 Lupron/GonalF (Dec 2012)= 30R, 21M, 21F with ICSI, 18 HIP frosties!!!
FET in August 2013 

http://i45.tinypic.com/21pym9.jpg

Re: XP: MFI experts please chime in!

• Have you seen an MFI uro?  If not, you need to.  Not just a regular uro, they are clueless. I wish someone would have given me this advice before 2 failed IVFs. Your numbers are way better than ours so I can't help you there.  Good Luck!!
     36 DH 33 TTC for over 3 years
    First mini-IVF Sept 2011... Only 1 egg! ... BFN
    Switching RE
    IVF#2 May 2012 9 eggs and only 2 sperm, WTH!
    BFN
    IVF #3 March 2013~Tesa with back-up Donor Sperm,Tesa, unsuccessful used DS~ Chemical :(   

Switching RE's within practice

2 frosties waiting for us, November 2013!!!!!   Transferred 2 "average" blasts 11/20/2013
    BFP!!!!!!!  Boy/Girl Twins!!!!!! Due 08/08/2014

My Blog

*~God gives his hardest battles to his toughest solders. Unknown.
  • imagefiresiren:
    Have you seen an MFI uro?  If not, you need to.  Not just a regular uro, they are clueless. I wish someone would have given me this advice before 2 failed IVFs. Your numbers are way better than ours so I can't help you there.  Good Luck!!

This exactly. He needs to be referred. My hubs had the varicocele repair done also. It helped slightly.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrsSJE2011:

Over visiting from 3T knowing that you ladies have a wealth of knowledge and hope you can help!  History is in siggy.

Just got off the phone with the RE about DH's follow up SA after not wonderful numbers at IUI #1.  The f/u showed:

*Count: 47 million

*Motility: 29%

*Morphology: 2%

He gives us a 5-10% chance of success with another IUI and is recommending IVF/ICSI.

Anyone dealing with similar numbers?  What is your plan?  Any thoughts are appreciated.  Still trying to wrap my head around this...

Morphology is obviously a huge problem.  My DH had less than a million sperm, very poor motility and a Morph of 0%.  He had a varicocele repair done in April and in August, his count was up to 15 million, 19% motility and 25% morph (considered normal!)  We have had 2 failed IVF's and are currently on our third.  Our RE and the urologist are optimistic because of the great improvement in morphology.  Good luck getting things checked out!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Recommend seeing a good MFI urologist as well. 
    imageimage

Me 33 DH 36 Together 10 years, Married 5 years

TTC #1 since 8/2007 with MFI
    November 2012 - IVF w/ ICSI #1; 11/28/12 - ER 12 eggs! 11 fertilized! 12/3/12 - ET - transferred 1 AA Blastocyst
    Charlotte Hannah -born 8/13/13.
  • Your siggy is a little confusing because the first SA states only 4 M motile but 16 concentration, then the second only lists the concentration.  You really need to know how many are motile.  The % don't always answer that question (see my siggy) but if I'm reading it correctly, your H's count is in the normal range (20M or more), normal motility is 50% and depending on the scale that the lab is using, it looks like they are using strict, normal would be 5%.

IMHO and experience, with that count I would do an IUI over IVF unless you are continuing to have failed cycles.  An IUI puts the sperm right where they need to be to catch the eggs as it comes down.  The sperm will have more energy and a chance to survive and fertilize an egg because they haven't had to work so hard to get to where they need to be in the first place.

Morphology is a really tough one.  Once you move towards IVF, if you need to, I'd do ICSI just because you know morph is a slight issue but 2% isn't the worst and it is still possible to conceive with that.

I hope that helps, good luck! 

TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Thank you all so much for your feedback! Having never really needed to "care" about SA numbers it is quite the learning curve and it seems  nothing is straight forward. 

His most recent SA was actually done at a MFI uro's office simply because it was closer than going to the RE's office!  After talking with the RE, we will be setting up an appointment with the MFI uro ASAP.

I have to say, this has all taken a little weight off my shoulders as now it is not "just me", as horrible as that sounds Tongue Tied

Married: 7/2/11 TTC: 12/2011
    Me: 31, PCOS DH: 37, low morph and low counts

4 medicated TI, 1 IUI+Femara, 1 IUI+GonalF = BFNs
    IVF #1 Lupron/GonalF (Dec 2012)= 30R, 21M, 21F with ICSI, 18 HIP frosties!!!
    FET in August 2013 

http://i45.tinypic.com/21pym9.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"