Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Nursing to sleep

My LO currently nurses to sleep, which I have no problem doing. Lately, he takes an hour at night to fall asleep- nursing the whole time. He/ or I do pull him off after about 30 min, and he is out. However, when I move him, he wakes up. I've tried just laying him in his crib as he is pretty drowsy, but he will just cry/scream until I nurse him again. He goes again for about 30 min before I cut him off again, and this time he stays asleep. For naps, in the morning he will nurse and if it has been close to 30 min, I'll cut him off and he stays asleep. In the afternoon...he will nurse 30- 45 min and if I cut him off, he wakes up immediately. He does have two teeth, so I wonder if he is comfort sucking as he might be cutting a third. Anyone else notice this with their child if you nurse to sleep?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

Re: Nursing to sleep

• Yeah, last night I let him go until he unlatched, which was about 30 min. He woke up when I moved him, so we had to nurse some more. If I do cut him off, he isn't deep sucking any more, it's just a very light suck. He just did ok with nap, and he unlatched himself and I got him successfully into his crib without waking him up. 

He used to only take like 20-30 min at night to fall asleep and he would unlatch himself at that point.

Thanks for the response! 

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• imagecaybeh:

Yeah, last night I let him go until he unlatched, which was about 30 min. He woke up when I moved him, so we had to nurse some more. If I do cut him off, he isn't deep sucking any more, it's just a very light suck. He just did ok with nap, and he unlatched himself and I got him successfully into his crib without waking him up. 

He used to only take like 20-30 min at night to fall asleep and he would unlatch himself at that point.

Thanks for the response! 

DD always needs both sides, even if she falls asleep. If she falls asleep on one, I still switch her to the other one, and she'll wake up enough to eat, then she'll be out for good.

If you want to get him to finish both sides without falling asleep, just switch sides when he starts to slow down on the one.

• Loading the player...
  • I think it is a comfort thing. My LO does the same thing, but we co-sleep or else i would be in the exact same boat.   I do notice that he is more needy when he is cutting teeth. SO i think you are right on with your thoughts.

Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Check out NCSS. It has a section about nursing to sleep where you eventually teach them to fall asleep without the breast in their mouth. It really helped me as I nurse to sleep as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • You are describing exactly every single part of our 'going to bed' issues. It's been getting worse and worse for us. My little girl is just over 7 months, and after a frustrating two months of spending over an hour getting her in a deep enough sleep to transition to the crib, plus several night wakings, I decided to sleep train this week. I was very very very opposed to it, but I'm glad I did it. Now once DD finishes nursing (and is pretty much still nursing to sleep), I unlatch her and put her in her crib. She looks at me, squawks for about fifteen seconds, and then rolls over and goes to sleep. It's been great.

But that said, if we hadn't sleep trained, my go-to method of coping was just to bring my Kindle into the nursery and bide my time.  

Amanda BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"