November 2011 Moms

Cold weather Mommas

What are you planning to do for winter outerwear this year?

DD will need jacket, snow pants, and boots at daycare since they will be going outside to play as long as it's over 20 degrees out. 

I can't decide if we should buy Columbia since she will be wearing it all winter, or try to save a little $$ and buy something cheaper from Target.  Anyone know if there is really a big difference, warmth wise, between higher end stuff and non-name brand?  I'm guessing the Columbia would stand up better to a one year old walking/crawling around, but I guess that would also depend on the material. 

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cold weather Mommas

• We got a northface jacket for ds. Just need to get a nice hat! I figured he is going to get a lot of use out of it here in Chicago. I actually got it in 18 mo size this way it will still fit in march

Columbia is on sale today on zulily if you are still looking.
  • I would say to go with the one at Target. I'm actually thinking that a one-year-old can't wear through it easily.

I don't know if I'm going to do a whole snow suit thing. I guess I should. It's a hit or miss if we get a lot of snow. Last year we about 10" total for the season. Two years before that we had 50" total in one month. LO gets hot real quick (he's just like his father), so he won't want that get-up all the time.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are thinking of Columbia or north face, have you tried Ross/Marshall's/TJ Maxx? I've started looking there but they were out of LO's size..... but I do know that they had a 24 month size NF that sells in stores for $75 for about $29.
  • imagemamababy:
    If you are thinking of Columbia or north face, have you tried Ross/Marshall's/TJ Maxx? I've started looking there but they were out of LO's size..... but I do know that they had a 24 month size NF that sells in stores for 75 for about 29.

I hadn't thought of that, I was just going to go to a local outdoors store, might have to do some comparison shopping. We did see a bunch of Columbus fleeces on sale at the local store for 10, I think we might stock up on multiple sizes!
    BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
  • We got DD some snowpants and a coat at Target. The snowpants were $16.99, I think and the coat was ~$35. It has a shell inside of it, so it's really three coats in one. I'm not sure where I will get her boots yet. I am looking forward to seeing her play in the snow and sledding with Daddy. :-)
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We bought a snowsuit for A at Sears. It was closing so we got a ridiculous deal on a normally pricey suit. I'm just looking for boots now. I'm not sure what to look for though because all the boots I see have really stiff soles, but I thought we should be looking for soft soled shoes. Or maybe I'm over thinking it and for the amount of time she'll be on her feet in the boots I shouldn't worry about it. 

We don't live in a very cold climate right now but we will be moving soon, and it's going to be very cold in our new town. It's a little daunting trying to figure it all out when I haven't really experienced winter there before.  

• imagemamababy:
    If you are thinking of Columbia or north face, have you tried Ross/Marshall's/TJ Maxx? I've started looking there but they were out of LO's size..... but I do know that they had a 24 month size NF that sells in stores for 75 for about 29.

Oh yeah I forgot to say check out the above stores. We got the north face jacket at the nordstroms sale it was such a good deal. I paid 40 for a 100 coat. I am happy!
  • Go to Zulily today - they have columbia on sale! 

I live in the great white North, and go to Marshall's. I got DS a few different sizes for coats. Also babys r us constantly sends out coupons and has online deals for boots and things like that. It's always hard because they grow out of things so fast.  

Now to figure out how to get DS to stop taking off every single hat, shoe, mitten we put on him? :) 

• imagemeghanw712:

Go to Zulily today - they have columbia on sale! 

I live in the great white North, and go to Marshall's. I got DS a few different sizes for coats. Also babys r us constantly sends out coupons and has online deals for boots and things like that. It's always hard because they grow out of things so fast.  

Now to figure out how to get DS to stop taking off every single hat, shoe, mitten we put on him? :) 

Haha we have the same problem!  But now that I put her in her warmer fall jacket, instead of a fleece sweatshirt, she doesn't reach for her hat.  It's a size too big so that, maybe, it will still fit in the spring, and the poofiness confuses her and she won't reach for her hat!  She hasn't taken her hat off since we started using that jacket!

• imagelovesjm:

We bought a snowsuit for A at Sears. It was closing so we got a ridiculous deal on a normally pricey suit. I'm just looking for boots now. I'm not sure what to look for though because all the boots I see have really stiff soles, but I thought we should be looking for soft soled shoes. Or maybe I'm over thinking it and for the amount of time she'll be on her feet in the boots I shouldn't worry about it. 

We don't live in a very cold climate right now but we will be moving soon, and it's going to be very cold in our new town. It's a little daunting trying to figure it all out when I haven't really experienced winter there before.  

I don't think it's possible to have awrn insulated boots and have them be flexible too.  There wouldn't be enought between LO's feet and the cold ground.  the amount of time they will actually be walking in them, it won't hurt them. 

I wish it were easier to judge future sizing.  I saw so many great NorthFace and Columbia winter wear on sale for over half off last spring, but I had no clue what size she might be wearing and I didn't want to spend the money on somethign she would never wear!

• I've settled on a jacket and pair of snow pants from GAP, in their warmest wear.

I'll probably grab another fleecy jacket from Children's Place, we went through two of those last year and they worked wonderfully because they are warm but not bulky so she can wear it in her car seat, then I'll throw her jacket over it when I take her out.

As for boots I've been eying some Stride Rite Robeez ones that I think we'll go with.

And of course I'll probably pick up several pairs of inexpensive gloves and hats, I figure they're all about the same and she's going to lose at least one or two throughout the winter.

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"