2nd Trimester
Options

Placental abruption at 18 weeks

DH and I were driving when an imbecile decided to cut us off and stop. We weren't going extremely fast, but it was still more than 40 mph. As a result DH slammed on the brakes to prevent an accident which caused a sharp pain in my abs and they've been hurting and sore since then about an hour. What's the likelihood that this is placental abruption? Should I try to call my doctor's office? They aren't exactly reliable with calling back and since it's the weekend I have a feeling they more than likely wont return any messages until Monday if I'm lucky. Am I just overly worried?

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

Re: Placental abruption at 18 weeks

• Options
    Yeah your probably worring for nothing. When I had placenta abruption with my daughter I felt fine I just started gushing blood so went to hospital. Anyway I would say it's stress. I get sharp pains all the time I always call about it and I'm always told it's nothing. You should still call your ob to have it checked but my sharp pains are usually from stress and moving too much.
  • Options
    I think it's unlikely that you have placental abruption, even if you have an anterior placenta. Are you bleeding or havng contractions? I would probably still go to the hospital to be checked out though- maybe give it another hour. Have you tried putting a warm or cold compress on your belly for the soreness?
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't tried it yet but will. I am feeling a little crampy but not majorly. And I am not feeling contractions or having bleeding yet. I guess I am overly nervous. After TTC for 2+ years I am super cautious/worried about something going wrong. Luckily I have a doc appointment next week anyway so that I can bring it up with her. Thanks ladies!

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Options
    If you are still not feeling well tomorrow, you should go to the hospital. It's definitely worth it, sweetie. Hope you feel better!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    I probably would have gone to the ER to be on the safe side. You should go in if it's still bothering you tomorrow.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • Options

I was in a similar accident a couple of weeks ago, we got rear-ended by some idiot talking on his phone going about the same speed. I called the Dr.'s office, and they basically just gave me a list of things to look out for (i.e. excessive cramping, bleeding, bad bruising where the seatbelt was). Thankfully I never developed any of these things and everything has been progressing fine! So my advice would be to call and leave a message so that your Dr. knows what happened (this way he can follow up with you at your next appointment), and keep an eye out for anything unusual (and if you notice anything go to the ER).

All the best! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageMelissaRae1525:
    I probably would have gone to the ER to be on the safe side. You should go in if it's still bothering you tomorrow.

me too! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would go to the doctor.  Better safe than sorry, and if you end up having to sue the driver, it's better to have medical documentation sooner than later.  
  • Options
    I called the doctor's office and while mine didn't call back, the one oncall did. He said that unless I start bleeding I should be okay until my scheduled appointment in Thursday. He basically said that what happens is that the muscles naturally tense up when stuff like that happens so I'm probably sore/hurting from that. It made sense since when I woke up my neck was hurting like it never has before and that's one of the things he said would probably be hurting along with my abs.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Options

imageMBush4:
    I haven't tried it yet but will. I am feeling a little crampy but not majorly. And I am not feeling contractions or having bleeding yet. I guess I am overly nervous. After TTC for 2+ years I am super cautious/worried about something going wrong. Luckily I have a doc appointment next week anyway so that I can bring it up with her. Thanks ladies!

Typically with an abruption there will be bleeding...and IF something is wrong waiting will do you no good. If you are concerned you should go to the ER, if for no other reason than to ease your mind! It is probably just sore & not a huge deal, but worrying for the next week until your appointment will do you no good. If I were you and that concerned I would just go get checked out!

I hope everything is ok :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemccall35:

I was in a similar accident a couple of weeks ago, we got rear-ended by some idiot talking on his phone going about the same speed. I called the Dr.'s office, and they basically just gave me a list of things to look out for (i.e. excessive cramping, bleeding, bad bruising where the seatbelt was). Thankfully I never developed any of these things and everything has been progressing fine! So my advice would be to call and leave a message so that your Dr. knows what happened (this way he can follow up with you at your next appointment), and keep an eye out for anything unusual (and if you notice anything go to the ER).

All the best! 

Same exact thing happened to me and my doctor said the same exact thing. If you can talk to your doctor your will probably feel better. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"