2nd Trimester
Options

I think this is weird.

My sister just told me that she heard if, when you're closer to giving birth, you have your husband stretch out your vagina as far as possible and hold it for 20 second and it will help prevent tearing. Have any of you heard of this? It may just be me but I just think it's a little strange, I'm not going to ask my husband to stretch out my vagina....
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: I think this is weird.

• Options

It's called 'perineal massage' and yes, some people do it (or have their partners do it for them) in preparation for childbirth. Some nurses/midwives will also do it for you while you are in labor to help avoid tearing.

Perineal massage

• Options
    I have heard of it once... Maybe it's something I should think about?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've heard of perineal massage.  I wanted to do it but we didn't.  If the tearing and episiotomy I still needed during birth is any indication, I chose UNwisely.

ETA UNwisely

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

The way your sister explained it to you makes it sound a little barbaric.. but yes, it's perineal massage and it is normal.

I do it the closer I get to delivery. I don't cause myself discomfort, though. And I have pretty good faith in it as I have delivered 5 babies vaginally without tearing, including a 9lber.

This is a pretty detailed explaination of how it's done.

https://www.babycenter.com/404_can-perineal-massage-help-me-avoid-an-episiotomy_1955.bc

*Julie* Wife to Micheal and mama of 5, soon to be 6!* Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Maybe it's the idea of having my husband do it. I mean I know that might sound weird, obviously he's seen it. But it just seems weird to have him stretch it out. But a nurse or Dr? That's different. But I guess whatever you want to do to help....
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I do it myself while pregnant.

And then my midwife does it here & there while I am in labor.

• Options
    imagemommajewels87:

The way your sister explained it to you makes it sound a little barbaric.. but yes, it's perineal massage and it is normal.

I do it the closer I get to delivery. I don't cause myself discomfort, though. And I have pretty good faith in it as I have delivered 5 babies vaginally without tearing, including a 9lber.

https://www.babycenter.com/404_can-perineal-massage-help-me-avoid-an-episiotomy_1955.bc

Wow! 5 with no tearing I might do it myself like another poster said but not my husband.

• Options
    It does sound very intimate to have DH help but you may find that it is easier for him to help. You can ask your midwife, doula, or doctor to do a quick tutorial if you do need help with it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagemommajewels87:

Wow! I have also heard about perineal massage, and thought it should work, in theory. I'm glad you posted this! I'm definitely going to give it a shot, because an episiotomy sounds much more barbaric to me...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It's an interesting concept, but isn't "proven medicine". I think some women get lucky and others don't as far as child birth, and I mean that in so many ways. I had an episiotomy with DD 8lbs 14oz, and DS was a c-section 9lbs 15oz. There's only so much stretching you can do for a baby that size. It won't hurt to try it, but don't think that by doing perenial massage you won't tear or need an episiotomy. Some women do nothing and still don't tear.. it's all luck of the draw IMO.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wish I could find it, but I can't. There was a girl on here long long ago who wanted her husband to fist her to stretch her out for the baby Indifferent
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't mind having DH do this unless he is uncomfortable with it. I certainly won't have him fist me though lol!!
  • Options
    imagemommajewels87:

I do it myself while pregnant.

And then my midwife does it here & there while I am in labor.

Seriously, how do you reach? Dh did it here and there with dd, but i still.ended up with an.episiotomy.
  • Options
    imagemabenner1:
    I wish I could find it, but I can't. There was a girl on here long long ago who wanted her husband to fist her to stretch her out for the baby Indifferent

https://m.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=59884800

YWIA! I can't make it clicky on my phone though.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    imageMrs E in Oregon:
    It does sound very intimate to have DH help but you may find that it is easier for him to help. You can ask your midwife, doula, or doctor to do a quick tutorial if you do need help with it.

Isn't creating a child also intimate?

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options

imagepistolpackinmomma:
    imagemabenner1:
    https://m.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=59884800 YWIA! I can't make it clicky on my phone though.

Clicky: https://m.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=59884800

And thank you!!

• Options
    imageCourtneybelle:
    imagemommajewels87:

Wow! I have also heard about perineal massage, and thought it should work, in theory. I'm glad you posted this! I'm definitely going to give it a shot, because an episiotomy sounds much more barbaric to me...

I agree with you!!

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image image image image
  • Options
    I don't think the picture she described is exactly accurate. I've heard of the massaging method PPs have mentioned but I don't think he's just supposed to grab & stretch. 
  • Options
    imageJbosarge85:
    imagemommajewels87:

Wow! 5 with no tearing I might do it myself like another poster said but not my husband.

You won't be able to reach Big Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagedrpayne:
    imageJbosarge85:
    imagemommajewels87:

Yeah, I would love to just be able to see my pikachu without using a mirror. I can barely reach my legs to shave. I don't think I'll be doing this myself. DH may take it as an opportunity or invitation to try to sex me up, so I'll just pass.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Perhaps I'm an exception to the rule, but I am able to reach my lady bits well enough to massage my own perineum, even at the end when I have the full beach ball belly going on. You sit wherever is comfortable to you (I prefer the side of the bath tub) and go around the side of your belly. It's hard to do it for long periods of time as it can get uncomfortable for your back, stomach, and arms to be curled up like that.. but it's doable. You can also get on your knees in a squatting position, if that position is more comfortable for you.

• Options

Around 32ish weeks I started to do the perineal massage... I didn't have my ex-husband do it for me. I also inserted fish oil tablets because there was a concern that my cervix wouldn't properly dilate due to a procedure in the past. The perineal massage is also to be used with oil, and you aren't just shoving fingers up there. The link that was posted is probably a lot more informational than what you really think it is.

FWIW, I still had a 2nd degree tear, so... a lot of good that did. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagedrpayne:
    imageJbosarge85:
    imagemommajewels87:

haha you are probably right I'm already having some issues grooming, hopefully that's not TMI. After each time I have to ask DH if I missed a bunch.....

• Options
    imagemabenner1:

imagepistolpackinmomma:
    imagemabenner1:
    https://m.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=59884800 YWIA! I can't make it clicky on my phone though.

Clicky: https://m.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=59884800

And thank you!!

BAHAHAHAHA!!!! This is my favorite part of the post

"The stretching that goes on during childbirth is infinity-times more preferred than living a life walking around with a saggy vagina. Like, stop stretching it out.  Please.

Her vagina is going to hang like sleeve of wizard."

• Options
    I'm not a "birth plan" type mama, but I will definately be mentioning my desire (does desire make it sound inappropriate?!? ;) ) for the OB to do perineal massage while I'm pushing.  She did the first time around and I only needed one stitch and had a very easy recovery.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrsNorry:

It's called 'perineal massage' and yes, some people do it (or have their partners do it for them) in preparation for childbirth. Some nurses/midwives will also do it for you while you are in labor to help avoid tearing.

Perineal massage

I have actually heard of this too!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"