VBAC
Options

Growth U/S at 38 weeks...

So I had a growth u/s today which DH and I agreed to but of course I was stressing a bit because I know they can be off.  My OB typically uses one specific u/s tech and has used her for several years.  My OB also keeps track of how close actual birth weights are to the estimates that the u/s measurements determine.  So...  LO's head is right at average for 38 weeks, some leg measurements are measuring between 36-37 weeks and LO's belly/torso is measuring closer to 39 weeks so the u/s tech was pretty honest that she wasn't super happy with the estimate but said that my OB would see all the various measurements and that she would also make a note that it's not an ideal estimated weight.  Also my amniotic fluid levels are higher than normal which has been causing my fundal height measurements to run higher.

So right now for 38 weeks 1 day we have between a 7 and 8.5lb baby.

DH and I are thinking we will see what happens and plan for a csection around 41 weeks as that's what we are both comfortable with.  That is if LO can keep head down.  Last week and a few weeks before, LO was breech.

Re: Growth U/S at 38 weeks...

• Options

Remember, the head comes out first, and the belly is squishy.  They can't measure the shoulders. 

That sounds like a good plan, not uncommon for a VBAC.  Hopefully your baby comes soon!

"Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Options
    I just want to echo what you already said about the growth u/s not necessarily being accurate.  I had one done at 39 weeks.  The tech kept measuring, each time saying she didn't think it was accurate. She finally ended at 8 lbs, 10 oz.  It seemed crazy to me, since my belly never measured ahead of what I was supposed to be.  DD was born at 40 weeks 4 days and she was 7 lbs 8 oz.  The tech was way off!  I did end up with a c/s, but not because she was too big.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The tech felt that the belly measurements were throwing the overall estimate off since it was the most "off" and she tried to take more measurements the best she could.

I was most concerned about the head measurement as our first lo never descended into the birth canal and we aren't sure why bad position or too big. I am going to review lo's newborn measurements again and see how they compare to this lo.

With our first lo, I was induced the day before my due date because of borderline pre e. I dilated to 10 and pushed for 2 hrs and lo never descended.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"