Attachment Parenting

Wrapping a Newborn

Baby is 11 weeks and I am trying to figure out how to wear him. I keep reading that babies like to be frog-legged, but when I put him in the wrap, he gets fussy. At what age does hip dysplasia not play a role? He seems to like having his feet hang out, but I'm not sure how to wear him because I am nervous about putting his feet in over each side like you do with older kids. Is he old enough for that? Sorry if  this is a stupid question.

Also, he likes to lie on one side and rest his head in my elbow. Is there a way to wrap him so he can stay that way?

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Wrapping a Newborn

• You can wrap a baby legs out from birth - the great thing about wraps is that they scrunch in to fit baby so that baby's legs don't get overspread.  Which carry are you doing?  Here's my front wrap cross carry video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RHyUi3OOb0&feature=plcp - Eleanor is a bit older in this one but I talk about bunching the wrap for smaller babies.

The way you are describing that position he likes, it sounds like he is facing you?  Unless he is nursing, I wouldn't advise wearing him that way.  You can do a cradle type carry (which is more of a semi-reclined position) but he would need to be face up (so "laying" on his back not his side).  Do you have a stretchy wrap or a woven?

I'd try the upright tummy to tummy with legs out and see how he feels about that.  Make sure you give him some time to settle and walk around or bounce on the ball (movement is key!).  If he still doesn't like that, let us know and I can find a good tute on a semi-reclined position).

• I would also suggest you try BW when baby is fresh. Right after a nap and full tummy. Like ncbelle suggests, get moving quickly. The first time I wore LO I put him in the Mai Tai and started vacuuming. The snug feeling, movement and white noise made him fall asleep instantly lol. Very 4th trimester
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    What just happened in my diaper?!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO is almost 12 weeks, and I just started wearing him legs out in the k-tan wrap. We did froggied before (kangaroo hold, I could never get cradle to work very well), and still will in the Mei-Tai as that's not narrow enough. With the k-tan, I have him upright and just make sure to spread the fabric from knee to knee. It's so ridiculously cute to see his little legs hanging out with the leg warmers on.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you for your responses. I was just doing front carry, but was concerned that his legs were out. After a little while of walking and wearing I figured out that his legs were up enough, just not like I pictured they would be. He was happy though. I had tried putting him in a few of the newborn "pockets" and he was not okay with that.

I am glad to know it's not great to wear LO in a side hold. I don't know how to do it anyway; I was just wondering if there was a safe way to go.

Thanks again!

• Ncbelle, I have a stretchy wrap. I am a little confused by your question because you say you don't recommend having him face me, but that I should do tummy to tummy, which would mean he is facing me... I can't pull up the video on my phone, but I will watch it in the morning! Maybe then it will make sense.

• imagehunnygirl:
    Ncbelle, I have a stretchy wrap. I am a little confused by your question because you say you don't recommend having him face me, but that I should do tummy to tummy, which would mean he is facing me... I can't pull up the video on my phone, but I will watch it in the morning! Maybe then it will make sense.

Sorry - that was unclear!  In the upright tummy to tummy, yes he is facing you - sort of - really his head will still turn to one side or the other.  But in a cradle carry, baby should be facing up, not in toward you.  The difference is that he would be lower on your body and reclined a bit - if he is facing in to you, it's difficult for him to turn up if he needs to.  If he is upright, it is far easier for even a newborn with little head control to turn his head.  Let me know if that doesn't make sense!

Basically though, you always want to be able to see baby's sweet face ;-) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"