Adoption

Egg donation & adoption

This may be a personal thing, but, I'd like your input.

I'm considering donating an egg. I haven't had a baby yet, but, I plan to within the next 2-5 years. My thought process is that I will be helping an infertile couple while understanding my own fertility. DH says whatever I want to do with my body, he'll support me.

We've also thought about adoption. Our plan is to have one of our own and then adopt a child.

We are very naive to both processes, so I am more so curious of what the financial impacts of adoption are? Wait times, etc.

Thanks! 

Re: Egg donation & adoption

• You likely won't be donating *an* egg. The process is such that you undergo injections, etc., to produce as many as they can.

An adopted child *is* your own.

See the FAQs for a general overview and resources on adoption. Financial impacts can range from minimal to significant, depending on the route you take. Wait times can also vary, from weeks to years. Expectant parents typically choose the adoptive parents, and you could match quickly, or not.

• Ditto on checking out the FAQ.

I know nothing about egg donation other than that it is a fairly involved medical procedure- probably more than you realize.  However, that should not deter you if this is something important to you! 

As far as your own adoption- what is your motivation behind wanting to adopt?  I ask because depending on your motivation, different types of adoption will be better or worse for you.  If you want to adopt an infant because you do not want to be pregnant more than once (or b/c you can't get pg at all), then domestic infant adoption is a great option. If you want to diversify your family then you can do trans-racial DIA or international adoption. If you want to provide a home to a child who might not otherwise have one, you will want to look into adopting from foster care or adopting an international child with special needs (which is a very general term covering minor, moderate, and severe special needs). There is more to it than that, but that just gives you a little idea of the spectrum.

Wait times and cost greatly, GREATLY vary so we can help you out more when you give us a little more info about what type of adoption you are considering and why. 

TTC September 2010 thru October 2011
    SA February 2011: Normal
    RE App. October 2011 - Recc. Clomid and IUI

Taking a break from TTC to pursue adoption

Met our 2 year old son in Russia July 2012!
    Court trip October 2012
    Home November 24 2012!

Back to RE Summer 2013. TTC journey continues: 

Dx DOR, endometriosis, low sperm count 
    Clomid + IUI#1, #2 = BFN / IUI #3 = ???

Laparoscopy scheduled December 2013

Adding a Burden
  • Loading the player...
  • I have pursued getting pregnant using donor eggs, so I thank you that you are considering it. It is an involved medical process - basically you will be doing an IVF, but instead of having the embryos put back inside your uterus, they will be transferred to the woman who you are donating to. For the process, you will need to be medically cleared first to make sure you have normal fertility, no diseases, etc. Then the doctor will medically control your cycle. You will have daily hormone injections to produce a bunch of eggs at once (typically 10-20). Your progress will be monitored by blood tests and ultrasounds. Then you will have an egg retrieval under anesthesia. And then your part is done. It probably sounds scary at first, but it is safe. If you are looking for info from more women who are using or have used donor eggs, try the infertility or pregnant after infertility boards. Thanks!
    Dx: High FSH, stage IV endo, homozygous C677T MTHFR and PAI-1
    Early loss 10/08
    Lap 1/09
    IVF #1 "natural IVF" - 1 egg retrieved, missed m/c
    Tried several mini-stim cycles with no response
    Switched clinics - dx'd as carrier for Fragile X
    IVF #2 MDL protocol Jan/Feb converted to IUI, BFN
    IVF #2 take 2: Antagonist, one embie, BFN
    IVF #3: Antagonist, no fertilization
    One last ditch effort at OE IVF (antagonist with Clomid) cancelled
    DE cycle #1 Jan/Feb 2011, BFP, ectopic
    DE cycle #2 June/July 2011 - BFP
    10/28/11 Baby girl lost at 17 weeks due to pre-term labor. We love and miss you.
    DE cycle #3 June/July 2012 - BFP, twins, both heartbeats stopped, D&C
    2 frosties but don't know what's next
    FET Dec 2012: BFP! Praying this one sticks for the long haul!
  • imagemay2806:
    I have pursued getting pregnant using donor eggs, so I thank you that you are considering it. It is an involved medical process - basically you will be doing an IVF, but instead of having the embryos put back inside your uterus, they will be transferred to the woman who you are donating to. For the process, you will need to be medically cleared first to make sure you have normal fertility, no diseases, etc. Then the doctor will medically control your cycle. You will have daily hormone injections to produce a bunch of eggs at once (typically 10-20). Your progress will be monitored by blood tests and ultrasounds. Then you will have an egg retrieval under anesthesia. And then your part is done. It probably sounds scary at first, but it is safe. If you are looking for info from more women who are using or have used donor eggs, try the infertility or pregnant after infertility boards. Thanks!

Thanks May, it's people like you I want to help

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"