Philadelphia Babies
Options

No Ultrasound at 1st visit?!

Hi- I am 8 weeks pregnant, and had the most distressing visit yesterday @ Drexel Med/Hahnemann.  we were fully expecting an ultrasound- only to be told that they do not do ultrasounds until the 12th week.  from everything that I have read, it is customary to have an ultrasound at 8 weeks! Have I picked the wrong practice?! We were impatiently waiting for this visit before announcing our pregnancy, so imagine the deflation when we were told that we will have to wait another 4 weeks!

Re: No Ultrasound at 1st visit?!

• Options

That is definitely frustrating!

I had my first visit at 8 wks and they did an U/S. I do know that some offices do go by the 12 wk mark though. Its not too late to make a switch if you dont like the office. But i wouldn't switch just because you didn't get to see the LO.

• Options

Mine only did an eight week U/S to date the pregnancy because I wasn't positive of my LMP. Otherwise its 12 and 20. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB office wouldn't even schedule my first appt until I was 10-12 weeks from LMP. I did get one when I was seen at 10 weeks though
  • Options
    My practice doesn't do any until 20 weeks unless you get the genetic screening or there is a problem. And like pp said, some practices mine included wont even see you until 12 weeks!
    imageimage

Our little hippo was as impatient as mom!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Hoping for a full 40 weeks!! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

I had one at 7 weeks to rule out an ectopic pregnancy, solely because I was having some pain and I lost my last pregnancy at roughly the same point. Otherwise, they would have sent me at 12 weeks. Your little peanut at 8 weeks is so tiny that it just looks like a blur on the screen. It wasn't all that exciting, except that I got to hear that nice strong heartbeat. 

What they told me at my 8 week appointment is that if we were planning to tell people before 12 weeks, that after they find a heartbeat at 8 weeks and it's solid and regular, your chances of early miscarriage drop dramatically.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's normal to not get an U/S at your first appt.  My first u/s was done at the 12 week appt. 
  • Options
    totally normal.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"