October 2011 Moms
Options

Breastfeeders....code brown question

I have a question....so I know that breastfed babies poop a lot. Since Alastair was formula fed from day 5, we had constipation issues and I am not familiar. Aidan, however, is on breastmilk and has not stopped pooping since he was born. I can barely change him often enough. His little bum is pretty raw - I never have him sit in it, but I guess when you poop more than five times a day (and he easily gets to 10), then you get irritated down there. 

My question now is...when does that get better? When does that little digestive system slow down a bit? And how the hell do you keep their little azzes happy? My usual is not cutting it....I have done baking soda, Vaseline, barrier cream.....He is still pretty red. Please tell me it's not much longer! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Breastfeeders....code brown question

• Options

I remember those days! I remember they were supposed to have one poop for every day old they were (so 6 days = 6 poops) and my kid would cover that within the first few hours of the day!

If I recall correctly, you just have a bit longer. I think it slowed down after the 3 week growth spurt, when the feeding spaces out (just a little bit).  BM is a laxative, so the more they eat, the more...well, you get it.

As for the raw ass, we didn't have an issue with that so I can't help too much.  We used pampers sensitive swaddlers and pampers sensitive wipes, so I don't know if that was the key or not.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Triple paste is the only thing that worked for DS. It slowed down to 4 to 5 times per day by four months or so but he still poops at least twice a day. Sunday he pooped seven times. If his bottom stays red maybe try cutting spicy food out of your diet? Does he spit up a lot?
    photo
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Both of my kids pooped like every time they peed for months. You get used to it though. 

I would put vaseline or some sort of cream on his bottom to help with the redness. 

• Options

Everybody is different, but my baby was a super pooper. DD went several times a day for the first few months and then down to twice a day by 6 months and now has her "morning constitutional" daily.  Back then I preferred to wash her bottom to remove all residue instead of smearing it around with wipes.  Triple paste works wonders and I used it when we had irritation, but would use aquaphor and/or Burts Bees cream for prevention.  

Wishing you all the best with the feedings, I am sure your boys will benefit a lot once cold and flu season comes around!

• Options
    Instead if wipes, use a wet Kleenex or washcloth and then dry his bum with the hair dryer on the cool setting. It's a bit time consuming but it really does the trick. As for the super pooping, you're probably in for a few months.

• Options
    We were lucky and DD never had issues with diaper rash but I have always heard Triple Paste works really well.

DD pooped every single time she ate until somewhere between 1 and 2 months, when it slowed to 2 or 3 times a day. Hang in there and I hope you find something that works for Aidan!

• Options
    I completely forgot about all the poop!! You are bringing back memories of all the dirty diapers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options

You don't want to hear this....but for months.  We had blow outs all the time...had nothing to do with the diaper..

She never got a raw toushy though.  I just saw someone on my Facebook say the coconut oil for diaper rash was awesome and made all the raw spots go away.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We use coconut oil and it does seem to help with rashes. Maybe you just have a super pooper. Even  my formula fed DD pooped 5 or 6 times a day until recently now she still goes 2-3 times.
  • Options

I am pretty sure when DS was 3 weeks old that we had at least 12 poopy diapers a day.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yay. I gonna try the things I haven't yet, which are not many, unfortunately. Coconut oil. I wonder how bad my allergy would be if I used gloves. I may try that. It is about the only thing I haven't tried yet.
  • Options
    What does the poop look like? Is it possible he could be having a sensitivity to something you're eating?
  • Options

imagecantalopes24:
    What does the poop look like? Is it possible he could be having a sensitivity to something you're eating?

It's yellow-seedy. From what I understand just how it should be. But I have wondered too. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"