May 2012 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding/Pumping check-in, anyone?

Now that our babies are 4-5 months old, let's do a BFing/pumping check in...

How's it going in general?

What are your goals for BFing/pumping?

Have you had any new issues lately? If so, have you come up with a solution or still struggling?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Breastfeeding/Pumping check-in, anyone?

• Options
    imagePotomacSt:

I really, really love it. After about 7 weeks I feel like we really got it down and I'm so glad I stuck with it. I love seeing her fat little thighs and knowing that she has them because of me.

I don't know. When I was pregnant, my goal was 6 months of EBF and then starting to wean. Now I feel like I want to try for a year at least, and wean down to 1-2 nursing sessions a day after that til she's 1.5 or 2 years old. But my husband isn't very keen on that idea, so I'm not sure what will happen.

Have you had any new issues lately?

If so, have you come up with a solution or still struggling? My daughter is completely distracted lately. I can't watch TV any more while nursing, because she just wants to turn her head to see what's going on. Nursing in the rocker in her room with the white noise machine on helps, but that's not always possible. I've had issues with supply while pumping at work thanks to the return of AF and a bad sinus infection, but taking Fenugreek, Mother's Milk tea, chugging water and extra pumping sessions helped.

• Options
    imagePotomacSt:

So far things are going well. I'm just relieved lo isn't allergic to my milk. DS1 was allergic to breastmilk. This time things are going more smoothly. 

Originally,  I wanted to go to 6 months. Now I'm thinking about trying for a year, but that can changed based on the day.

Have you had any new issues lately? If so, have you come up with a solution or still struggling?

LO is easily distracted. He seems to have picked up an extra feeding at night to make up for it. He has always been a good sleeper, so I don't mind getting up twice in the night ( he only takes 10 mins to eat), However the las t two nights have been rough. He has been up almost every two hours, due to a cold. Hopefully he'll get back into a good sleep routine when he feels better.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

How's it going in general? it is going pretty good.  I pump 3 times a day, DS still nurses about 5 times, wakes up a bunch to nurse, but I really enjoy nursing, not pumping at all.  

What are your goals for BFing/pumping?BF until at least a year (I hope) and pump until his birthday (5/30) and not one day longer.  

Have you had any new issues lately? If so, have you come up with a solution or still struggling? my pumping output was really bad about 3 weeks ago.  Getting between 6-8oz total per day on 3 pumps.  I talked to my lactation consultant and she recommended I use a hospital grade pump (I have access to one at work).  I bought the pieces needed and now after almost 2 weeks I'm pumping between 12-14oz.  woohoo!

• Options

Great!! He is doing fabulously now. We struggled in the beginning quite a bit, but around 3 months, everything got SO much easier (besides the whole four month wakeful). DS loves nursing - seriously. I work 2 days a week, and on the days that I work he always wants to nurse right after I get home. It doesn't matter if he just ate 15 minutes before I got home - he still wants to nurse. The other really cute thing that he does - because we nurse laying down sometimes - if I am laying down beside him, he will automatically turn his head to the side and start rooting. So cute.

Originally, my short-term goal was to make it to 6 weeks with the long-term goal of making it to 6 months and hopefully to a year. DS will be 6 months old on 10/14, so we are pretty close to that one already! I definitely want to go to a year with him, and after that, I'll let it up to him how long he would like to go (assuming he doesn't want to keep nursing until he's 5 - not into that, personally).

Have you had any new issues lately?

No, thankfully! DH and I are going away for our anniversary from 10-14 to 10-16, so I'm interested to see how DS and I are going to do with that separation. I have a good relationship with the pump, so I'm thinking we'll be okay, but it will be different for sure.

• Options
    Now that our babies are 45 months old, let's do a BFing/pumping check in...

Good. I EP and I'm down to 4 pumps a day, getting between 38 to 40 oz total. Baby only eats 28 to 30 oz. After pumping 8 times a day in the beginning, 4 is amazing.

To get down to 2 to 3 pumps a day and to keep at it for well over a year.

Since baby is getting more active, I've been having trouble keeping her entertained while I pump. Sometimes she's content but other times she just wants me to walk her around and I don't have a Freestyle.

I also get tired of people questioning my decision to BF. Drives me crazy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    How's it going in general? This is my second time breastfeeding. I will say that while we had some struggles in the beginning due to tongue tie it was much easier then the first time with DD. I felt like I knew what to expect.

What are your goals for BFing/pumping? My goal this time around is to make it to a year if not longer.

I have just had some supply issues due to weight loss and growth spurts, but I have been using Mothers Milk Tea and Fenugreek and it seems to be working.

• Options

How's it going in general? Really good now. We had some issues in the beginning but saw a LC who really helped me and LO get on the same page. Not leaking so much now that my supply has regulated which is a huge relief expecially in public!

What are your goals? My original goal was 6 months, but it's going so well I'm sort of planning to see how things go. I'm hoping that she will wean herself, but if I can do a year, I'll be really proud of both of us.

New issues lately? LO is also very intrigued with her surroundings lately so she is easily distracted. This makes for some very pulled and chewed on nipples sometimes. She also does this new thing where she'll be nursing fine and all comfortable then suddely pop off and stare at me with huge eyes like something startled her. Then I laugh cause it's so cute and hilarious and she'll smile, go back to nursing and do it again. It's almost like a game for her which I know is really my own fault because I laugh but oh well.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

How's it going in general? Really well, and even though we aren't on a real schedule yet during the day (i.e. knowing exactly what times she is going to eat) I'm okay with that because I'm comfortable finding a private spot and feeding her pretty much anywhere if we are away from the house.

What are your goals?  My goal is 6 months, I go back to work part time at 6 months (2 days/week), so it was always my goal to at least make that - however, because it's gone so well I would love to continue until she is a year old.

New issues lately?  She's definitely more distracted lately, and also does the pinching/grabbing - which usually reminds me to trim her nails Smile

• Options

How's it going in general? Great! I feel really lucky that I have had such an easy road with breastfeeding. We had a little hiccup in the begging due to jaundice but it seems like no big deal now. I love watching her grow and know that I am providing all that great food for her. I love when she smiles up at me while she is eating.  

What are your goals for BFing/pumping? I really want to go a year. However, I am not looking forward to pumping for a year. I started doing two pumping sessions on the weekend. I hope to have a big enough stash so that I can wean from pumping prior to a year.

Have you had any new issues lately? If so, have you come up with a solution or still struggling? The only thing we struggle with is at the end of the day she gets fussy at the breast. I think we might be putting her down too late and she is fussy because she is over tired. I might try an earlier bedtime tonight and see if that helps.

• Options
    imagePotomacSt:

It's going fine- pump 2x a day at work and feed DD#2 when I'm home.

Would like to make it to 9 months (same time frame as with DD#1)

DD#2 was only 11 lbs 8 ounces at her 4 month appt (6th percentile), so we've been adding a little formula to her bottles when I'm at work. She takes 16 ounces when I'm gone each day- 12 is breastmilk, 4 is formula. Hopefully it'll help.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagePotomacSt:

How's it going in general? Really well. I work PT, so I nurse DS when I am with him, and he gets a bottle while I'm working. I try to pump every 3-3.5 hours when I'm not with him, to try to keep on his schedule. I have more output in the morning when I pump, then I do in the afternoon. I think that's typical though. I pump before I go to bed as well, when he's already sleeping.

What are your goals for BFing/pumping? I plan to breastfeed DS until he's at least 1 year old, but I will stop pumping at 1 year. It's honestly such a chore, but obviously worth it to give him breastmilk until he doesn't physically need it anymore. 

Have you had any new issues lately? If so, have you come up with a solution or still struggling? I have come to realize that if DS is not with me, and I don't pump often enough, it can affect my supply for a day or 2. Afternoons can be hard because I don't seem to have alot of milk in the afternoon. DS will nurse on both sides and then fuss and still act hungry. He's a big boy, so I have found myself giving him 2-3 ounces in a bottle before he goes to bed, if it's been less that 3 hours since he's nursed. I have a freezer full of milk so it's not really a big deal to give him a few extra ounces at night to help him feel fuller as he STTN.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

How's it going in general? Good so far.  I struggled with my supply when I came back to work since I didn't know we made a dedicated space for pumping.  Since I have been using the lactation rooms my supply getting better.

What are your goals?  I don't know.  This is my 3rd kid to BF and I'm kinda over breastfeeding.  I BF my 2yo for a 1 year and I think I'm just tired.  With my supply issues I don't have a stash and I hate not being able to go out with my DH for a night of fun without my boobs hurting.  But then I see that sweet little face and I know I can keep going.  So right now my goal is one day at a time.

New issues lately?  Biting. He cut 2 teeth over the weekend and he is letting me know about it.  It hurts so much! 

• Options

How's it going in general? It's going great! The longer we go, the happier I am that we stuck with it! I can't imagine how much more difficult my life would be if I couldn't just sit down and pop LO on my boob on the go. I love how easy it is, and I love that it's free! It's also at the point where it seems like a nice bonding time for us.

What are your goals for BFing/pumping? I would like to introduce solid food just for fun once we get the go ahead from her pediatrician at her next appointment, because I'm concerned about the current explosion of food allergies in children and the growing evidence that delaying solids could be linked in some cases. Still, she will be 99% still just breastfed until 6 months. And then I would really like to go about 60% breastmilk until 1 year.

Have you had any new issues lately? If so, have you come up with a solution or still struggling? At this point, no. We have finally finished with comfort nursing, that was our real "problem". It was exhausting for me. But now that she is older she likes other activities too.
  • Options
    I have EBF LO since birth... she is cutting her first tooth already and just recently started to bite me... not exactually sure what to do... i take boob away and tell her no but it dosent seem to be helping at all...
       EDD for #2 is December 8th, 2013, so excited for our 2nd team green baby! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

Breastfeeding is going really great!  Early on he had a bad latch, but it slowly got better.  Also mid-early on I ended up with oversupply.  That has sorted out, but I still have a strong letdown at times.  But for the most part it's wonderful.  As far as pumping, pretty good!  I haven't had much issues with pumping at work.  I work for a company with great HR, so we have a really comfy & nice "New Mother's Room", with our own private fridge.  I know a lot of women seem to loathe pumping.  I don't mind it at all.  What I loathe is freaking washing & prepping bottles.  And he only takes 3 a day.  Literally I cannot imaging all the work you'd have to do for a baby who takes only bottles!!

1 year minimum was my goal.  I am slowly building a freezer stash.  I always freeze Friday's milk, and thaw my oldest milk for Monday.  But I usually freeze about 5 or so ounces extra due to me being a power pumper!  I only pump one side at a time.  At the least I'll get 3 ounces, but most often get 4 or 5 oz.  Sometimes I'll get 6 oz!  I only send about 12 ounces with him at daycare.  Sometimes he drinks it all, but sometimes he only takes 8-10oz.   

No breastfeeding issues.  But I finally took the plunge and ordered Bamboobies.  I think they are super soft & awesome, but I always leak through 1 side (I only feed 1 side at a feeding, so it's always the side that hasn't been used in the longest time).  And today I leaked through the day set.  :(  Good thing I was wearing multiple layers & black!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

How's it going in general? great!  DS has always had a good latch and been great at eating.  Even with a short stay in the nicu and bottle feeding to start.

What are your goals for BFing/pumping? exclusively BF for 6 months, then continuing till a year or so.  If DS wants to keep up his bedtime feed then I would be fine with continuing that for longer.

Have you had any new issues lately? If so, have you come up with a solution or still struggling? the nipple pinching.  oh jeez does that ever hurt.  And the 'what's on the tv?' head yank.  We try to nurse in a quiet place where the tv isn't on but sometimes he'll yank off just to look at me and grin.  I can't get mad at that!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"