Pregnant after 35
Options

5wks- 37, unmarried, unemployed...YUP...

Hi Everyone!

I just turned 37 last week...been seeing the same guy since April, he is 44. I went off of the pill about a year ago- I had been on it for 18 years. We obviously were not careful with the BC recently...my period has been inconsistent since going off of the pill so my period being a week late wasn't completely unusual...but, took two pee tests yesterday which were  both positive...I am estimated to be 5wks...called the doctor today and have an appointment for Friday. I got pregnant in college and chose to terminate it, but I fully intend on keeping this one. I am nervous- I am hoping it will be healthy and I can carry it to term. 

And yes, I am currently unemployed...so...not the ideal time to get pregnant but life happens, you know?! Just trying to stay positive and figure somehow it will all work out...I am lucky to live near my family and I know that they will be supportive. Getting together with my mom tomorrow and plan on telling her then.

My SO is in Ireland until Thursday afternoon- we don't live together and had been dating casually (but not seeing other people) until now. Not sure how he will react...surprise and shock I am sure, but hopefully once that wears off he will be happy about it. I feel like he thinks he is too old to be a father at nearly 45 but babies and kids love him and vice versa. Even if we do not get married or remain a couple, I am sure that he will want to be in our child's life. I am hoping he will get excited about it and have a change of outlook on the whole older father thing once he realizes this is really happening.

But really the only thing I am concerned about it having a healthy baby. I know that as someone over 35 there are more risks...I really hope that I don't m/c and that my baby is healthy.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: 5wks- 37, unmarried, unemployed...YUP...

• Options

Congrats on your pregnancy! I know it's not the ideal time, but if we all waited 'til the "ideal" time to have a baby, none of us would ever have them.

I hope that your SO takes the news well.

At 37, you are actually one of the young ones on this board (I'll be 42 when my baby is born), so don't sweat it too much about the increased risks.

Keep us updated!

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

Thank you so much for your kind reply! Smile

I will definitely update!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Congratulations!  I'm sure he will be surprised and hopefully, involved.  You're how old I was when I had my first, and as long as you're healthy, the risks really are minimal, if anything. 

Good luck to you and a happy and healthy pregnancy.

• Options
    I, too, want to wish you a H&H 9 months!

I also would like to add that where I live and work, we have an incredibly high number of extremely unhealthy women/girls (yes we have TONS of teenagers) who carry their babies to term and who have healthy babies-- despite their drug addictions, alcohol abuse, smoking, etc. And almost all of them are unemployed.

I would say that you are ahead of all of them, so you will be able to do this! FX that your SO is also excited to be a dad right now!
    *********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
            -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
    DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
    TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
    <br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

• Options

I am 37, too, although we were planning it, I am still at shock! It's normal to have feelings all over the place, as someone mentioned if we waited for the perfect time, it would just never happen!

Regardless of how your SO reacts, his reaction will show you his true character.

Good luck and I wish you a very healty and happy pregnancy.

• Options
    imageSouthernMom70:

Congrats on your pregnancy! I know it's not the ideal time, but if we all waited 'til the "ideal" time to have a baby, none of us would ever have them.

I hope that your SO takes the news well.

At 37, you are actually one of the young ones on this board (I'll be 42 when my baby is born), so don't sweat it too much about the increased risks.

SouthernMom took the words right out of my mouth. I waited and waited and finally decided this year that I really DID want to have a child, and boom, I'm pregnant at 41. My DH is the same age as your SO and he is thrilled to pieces. I have been told that having kids late helps keep you young. I hope it is true! Stick out tongue

Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • Options

Thank you everyone, for your replies! They've made me feel a bit better today...

And congratulations and good luck to all of you as well Smile

• Options

It sounds like you've got a great support system in your family, so you're in a much better position than some others. Let us know how things go with your mom today!

Don't worry too much about your age; the less stress you're under, then better for you and your LO. I'm also 37, and the way I looked at any potential complications, is that I'd only worry about them if I had to, and everything has turned out fine so far.

Looking forward to seeing updates! Good luck! 

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Beat stage 4 Hodgkins Lymphoma May 2011, YEAH!!!

BFP 3/30/12, with fingers and toes all crossed.

AMA (37) + GD = HR, grr.

EDD 12.12.12

• Options
    My mom was totally supportive- she is excited and happy...this will be her first grandchild (other than my cat, haha)  :-)
  • Options

Congratulations!!! A shock, yes, but a blessing for sure!

As far as your BF's age, MH is 48 - He has two adult children from his first marriage (30 and 28), and then ours 14, 9, 7, 4, 2, and one on the way. And, honestly, even tho' we're PRETTY sure this is our last, we aren't certain - so he'd be willing to have another one which obviously would have him around 50. There are benefits to having kiddos when you're older.

And, for what it's worth, I agree with pp who said there isn't ever a "right" time to have kids. It may be a struggle more under some circumstances than others, but they make up for the sacrifices you'll make. 

8 month cutie

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Congratulations!  I'm 36 so not far behind you :)  Keep us posted!!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BFP: 12/3/07, M/C @ 7w 3d ~ 12/24/07 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"