Preemies
Options

Active Duty AF-Maternity leave and NICU

Hey! I am pregnant with twins and I know they are much much more likely to spend some time in the NICU. How did your commands work with your situation of having a baby in the NICU? My biggest fear is they will come home right before my leave ends or will still be in the hospital. I am worried about getting push back from my command to get back to work. According to my OB I should expect to be out of work between 24-28 weeks to allow me to focus on resting and letting the twins grow. I know after being out of work for that long plus maternity leave they are going to pressure me to get back to work. I feel bad for missing that much work but my babies are my priority. I have 60 days of personal leave and don't mind using it if needed. I am just interested to hear what your experiences were like....

SORRY TO VENT! I already feel frustrated because I missed a couple days this week and was looked at like I was trying to get out of work by my boss. My doctor doesn't want me working until she knows a new med she put me on is working. 

Re: Active Duty AF-Maternity leave and NICU

• Options

imageBostonKisses2:
    I don't have any experience with this, and I would recommend checking out the military families board - you'll probably be able to get more help there.  Thank you for your service to our country, and I hope everything works out for you!

^ Copy that. I don't think I've ever met a AD mom over here...I'd also check in on the Multiples board. I hope you keep them cooking as long as possible - if you wind up delivering early we'll be your ladies! Thanks for all you do :) 

• Options

Prior service responding! 

Have you brought in a note from your OB specifying what hours you  can and cannot work yet? Having her put it in writing and having it filed in your PIF and on your person will greatly remove pressure from you higher ups. That would be my first step.

Second would be to NOT start worrying about NICU time! Mine blindsided me but I had a very understanding section.

Third, you can be granted permissive TDY. I'm not sure how the actual paperwork flows but I had a coworker who's son was in some trouble and her leave was used up. She utilized emergency leave days and PTDY so that she was fine as far as the military was concerend. Again, we had an understanding section but we were also low manned so she needed the paperwork in her corner. 

Once on bed rest, you will also need a profile generated. That will start with your OB but will HAVE to be generated out of the MDG/ HAWC. It is up to you to ensure that that is being done. That is the only way to keep your section off of your back and keep them from calling you constantly.

I would also try to find out who handles all of the leave/ emergency leave/ TDY/ PTDY/ profiles/ etc in your unit. Since they did away with Orderly Rooms, each section does something a little bit different. This person SHOULD be spun up the regs and will be able to answer most of the questions left to be asked. Be very, VERY friendly to this person LOL

If you can't find the person in your section, call your MPF/ MPS. You may have to get passed around a ton on the phone and play days of phone tag but it will be worth it! Their only job is to know the regs and paperwork procedures. They will for sure know the answers to the questions you have. But first you MUST try your section's POC. If you don't, the MPF/ MPS personnel will just direct you to them, leading to frustration on your end.

So to re-iterate, I would begin laying the ground work for the paperwork now. But I would also not start stressing about it now unless your OB has specifically told you to prepare for NICU time because of this, that, or the other.

And I wouldn't tell everyone who will listen at work about it. Discuss it with your supervisor and let them handle the chain from there. If you go about it any other way, then yes they may begin looking at you as though you are trying to get out of work. It sucks but it's fact, as I'm sure you know from being AD. 

I'm sorry for the novel. I was trying to give as much info as I could! If you have any other questions, please PM me. I lurk here often. I will try my best!  

__________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"