Parenting after a Loss

DD is a pacifier junkie

I hate giving it to her, but she loves to suck and actually gets mad at the breast because she doesn't want milk (or spits it all back up, causing me to change my shirt three times, like today). I just see a bad habit I'm going to have to break in the future...

Of course, the voracious nomming noises she makes when she has it are kind of hilarious.

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: DD is a pacifier junkie

• Some kids naturally wean as they get older. I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

IMG_2014
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm actually a little jealous :)  DS won't take a pacifier, and he's also not self soothing with his hands, which means... no self soothing for him!! LOL. 

I've been told that a pacifier is easier to "break" than thumb/finger/hand sucking.. I guess that's a positive!

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • Loading the player...
  • DS loved his, too.  I was a mean mama and took it away at 6m.  I'm SOOO glad I did because my friends kids are attempting to wean at 19m and it's an U-G-L-Y battle.  FWIW, by the next day he had totally forgotten about it!
    Twin boys born too early at 17w4d and 18w2d in February 2010
    Transabdominal cerclage placed September 2010
    DS born at 35w1d in February 2011
    Twin girls born at exactly 36w in February 2013
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS was a paci junkie - once he learned to stick them in his own mouth we stuck 6 in his crib.  At night we would hear him wake, fumble around in his crib and then stick one in his mouth and fall back asleep.   After 6 months we only let him have them when he was napping/sleeping.  We finally broke the habit when he turned 2 - he traded the paci for a Mr. Potato head.

Missed m/c 10/25/10 @ 11.5 weeks

• My child is the same but opposite, nearing one year old he wasn't paying them too much attention so I packed most of them away. Then just after 1yo he had a wicked virus, at that point he latched on to them and now even though the virus has since left his system, he still loves a Nuk at 14m. I'm sure they helped his ears or something when he was sick.

Its like we took a step back, I thought he'd passed that stage, but no!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

bfp 01/23/10 m/c 12w1d 03/14/10 EDD 09/24/10
    bfp 07/20/10 m/c 5w1d 07/25/10
    bfp 11/19/10 Born 07/24/11 via C/S

My Forever Sister From Another Mister~CashewsMommy!!

• Sucking is normal for an infant, it soothes them that is why BF babies comfort nurse.  As long as it isn't causing nipple confusion (it didn't with DS) than I wouldn't worry about it. 

DS has one in the crib and one in the PnP and then will randomly have one throughout the day if he wants it, DD took one until she was 16 months and then we took it, she cried two nights but that was it.  NBD.

It is just a soothing thing right now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was totally not wanting to use the pacifier.  But when DD started using my nipples as one, I caved.  But I never really gave it to her except for sleeping and if she was really fussy and we couldn't calm her down. Now she only uses them in her crib.  We will take them away after we get done with a few trips we have coming up.

• Em loved her paci. Took til she was two to get where I could tell her no more paci. your a big girl now to get it away. It was just like weaning from breastfeeding only a year later. I am hoping Pumpkin doesn't want one but really it wasn't too bad getting it away from her bed time just became longer as she didn't have anything to play with to get to sleep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My LO uses one and thank goodness.  It was a life saver the first couple of months. 

We're now beginning to limit the use of it during the day and DC is doing the same.  DC doesn't allow kids to have it when not napping once the hit 1 year old, so everyone is working to the same goal. 

imagephoto BeachAudrey6-23-2013_zps95b514cd.jpgphoto TRCALBadge_zpse0b3d2cb.jpg
    BFP #1 9-22-10 Missed M/c 10-18-10 D&E 10-28-10

BFP #2 5-9-11 EDD 1-12-12 Audrey Rachel born 1-12-12

BFP #3 9-21-13 EDD 5-30-14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"