May 2012 Moms
Options

XP: Loud Noises

Talk to me about your baby's reaction to loud noises. Do they startle? Do they acknowledge the direction or source of the noise? What is their reaction? I have been noticing for quite some time that DD doesn't startle or even acknowledge loud noises. Noises that startle me don't even phase her. She passed her hearing test at the hospital, so I know she's not deaf. I have horrible allergies and am pretty certain she has allergies also (ALWAYS stuffy, red puffy eyes, etc), so I don't know if maybe her ears are clogged. Or if maybe she's just a laid back girl. I'm just trying to get a feel for what is in the range of "normal" before I come off as the crazy paranoid mom to the ped.
Photobucket

Re: XP: Loud Noises

• Options
    There are loud noises that don't even phase LO but may startle me but then there are things that I wouldn't even think would bother him but end up startling him. He doesn't cry but it will jar him and he will look at me kind of like, "whoa, mom, did you hear that?!"
    BabyFetus Ticker

Corbin | born 4.19.12
    Baby boy #2 | due 4.13.15
  • Options

same here... it doesn't faze him at all... depending on the noise is if he will turn to see what it is... like dogs barking... he hears it all the time, so he doesn't care about it... but like if I drop something he will turn his head in my direction.  

I don't know what the 'norm' is for their hearing at this age though...  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I think it depends on the situation for my LO. If we are out and about she does not seem to mind loud noises or even acknowledge them. However, if we are home and something is loud that she doesn't expect she gets upset.

For example we visited our youth group on Sunday and she didn't startle at all with the noisy teenage boys stomping around. However, at home DH burped when she was sitting on his lap and she freaked out. Maybe when we are out she expects loud noises but at home she expects it to be quiter.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. However it would hurt to ask at her next well visit.

• Options

Yeah, she does get quite startled. She startles at visual surprises too though, like peek a boo.

They did tell us at the hospital if we had the slightest inclination her hearing was impaired we should demand more tests at once. However this may have been because my brother had a history of potential unexplained hearing loss, not sure. Maybe ask the pedi to look into it next appt?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I think I may just mention it. It can't hurt, and maybe they can provide some reassurance in the office. I don't think she is deaf, but I don't think her lack of reaction (to anything) is completely normal either. Hopefully it is nothing, and maybe it is as simple as her stuffy sinuses clogging her ears. My husband and I both work on military bases, and when I brought her into the office with me the other day, a jet took off right over us. It isn't something she is around, so I thought for sure it would hurt her ears (it sure hurt mine) and nothing. Never even batted her eyes. The same day as I was leaving the office, they were test firing who knows what and sounded the warning alarm (which is the equivalent of an air horn x100), and she still had no reaction. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    imageJess & Drew:
    I think I may just mention it. It can't hurt, and maybe they can provide some reassurance in the office. I don't think she is deaf, but I don't think her lack of reaction (to anything) is completely normal either. Hopefully it is nothing, and maybe it is as simple as her stuffy sinuses clogging her ears. My husband and I both work on military bases, and when I brought her into the office with me the other day, a jet took off right over us. It isn't something she is around, so I thought for sure it would hurt her ears (it sure hurt mine) and nothing. Never even batted her eyes. The same day as I was leaving the office, they were test firing who knows what and sounded the warning alarm (which is the equivalent of an air horn x100), and she still had no reaction. 
    Does she turn towards your voice when you talk to her?
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageDrRx:
    imageJess & Drew:
    Does she turn towards your voice when you talk to her?

If I move within her peripheral vision while talking, then she will turn her head, so I'm not sure if she is actually responding to the noise or the movement. If I am just outside of her vision or if I have been sitting in the same spot for a few minutes (within her vision) and talk, then she has no response. She just continues doing what she is doing.

Photobucket
  • Options
    Ava resonds and startles to noises. Especially when we open a soda lol or when the dogs bark mean whe someones at the door. Completely freaks her out. But if they just bark at someone walking by it doesnt phase her
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"