Pre-School and Daycare

Getting into things

My DS will be 5 in Dec. I'm curious how many other mom's experience self-control issues with their children getting into things.  We went to the park and on the way there he said I'm gonna drink your soda when you're not looking.  I said if you do we're going straight home.  Low and behold he found an opportunity to do it.  My DH thinks giving consequences after he gets into things is teaching him to be sneaky about it or hide it.  He wants to foster a relationship where he feels comfortable coming to us with the bigger things he's done wrong and telling us what has happened.  Thoughts?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Getting into things

• I'm curious as to your DH's thoughts on not having consequences and the next time he "sneaks" something, it's whiskey or toilet bowl cleaner. Life itself is about choices and consequences, good and bad, there's no way of getting around it.
  • Yeah his thinking is backwards.  Consequate the sneaking and disrespecting.  If he wants the soda and you want to encourage him to come with you,teach him if he asks nicely he may have a sip to try it.  But to ignore the sneaky is to encourage it.  I don't want my kids having soda so I don't have it around them often.  If I do and they ask to try it, I would allow it.  But not consequating the "I'm going to sneak it" actually discourages coming to you openly about it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"