Preemies

Does your ped do this? (long)

First a little background: DS was born at 32 weeks back in April at 2 pounds 5 ounces. He's about 9 pounds now, so still little, but growing on his own curve. He's been in daycare since the beginning of August when I went back to work. DH and I are very happy with daycare, but.............

EVERY TIME I go to the ped, 2 out of 3 of them that I've met with bring up the fact that DS is in daycare. And they always say it in a not-so-nice tone. This past Monday, I brought DS in for a lingering cough/cold. We had been there 2.5 weeks before for the same cold. This time the appointment was with one of the daycare haters. Pretty much, with only BARELY checking my son out first, he immediately told me that we needed to go to the ER for further observation. WTF?! So I said "really?!?!" because I couldn't believe it. Then he's all "Ma'am" on me (this guy's like twice my age). I fought him on the ER at first, but then gave in and we went to the ER. So I spent my $20 copay at the ped and then a $150 copay in the ER. My son's health is way more important than money, but still... we have a million bills from his NICU stay and then another hospital stay back in July in the Peds ward (which was just for reflux, but they thought it was more serious than that when they admitted him)... did we really need to go to the ER and add more bills on top of that?!

It's not even about the money. Does your ped treat your preemie in their office? I feel like, because he's a preemie, this guy just wants to cover his own arse and send him somewhere else. I get that his cough could be more serious, but I think the poor kid just needed some meds, not to be sent to the germ-laden ER! All they (ER) ended up doing to treat him was use a super sucker thingy on his nose and test him for RSV, flu, and whooping cough (RSV + flu came back negative... still waiting for WP results but I don't think that's it). For the record, they did do a nebulizer treatment at the peds office, but before they even did that they wanted us to go to the ER.

It's just frustrating. And it makes me bitter because all of my other friends who have babies don't have to go through this :( 

Thanks for letting me vent. No one really gets it unless they have a preemie!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does your ped do this? (long)

• I only had the chance to check out one DC because I was put on bedrest immediately after I saw the one. We put DS on the waiting list there once we knew I was delivering early. We're actually very happy with the DC, even though it's a bigger center... and they're really good about keeping him away from the other infants, although I know it's not 100% preventable no matter how much they try. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our doctor won't even allow LO to go to DC until March.  I got lots of attitude for asking.

~*Jenna*~

TTC since November 2009.

Currently licensed foster parents with the hope of adopting!  Also pursuing pregnancy through IUI!  First IUI scheduled 10/3/13

Currently loving our placements:

A 1/08

C 4/11

K 6/12

• Loading the player...
  • Here's the thing. Yes it would be lovely if we could all stay home, but for many families working is a necessity for many reasons.  My son was born at 24 weeks and came home after 3.5 months right in the beginning of Nov.  I took maternity leave and had some family take vacation and help us out but he went to day on Feb 28.  And I am a pediatrician.  It was not ideal, and we were lucky to have few lung issues but it was fine.  I think it depends on the baby.  

Pas for the pedi, hard to comment without knowing the situation.  We all have our strengths and weaknesses.  Sorry they made you go to the Ed though.  Yuck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"