Natural Birth

Pediatrician vs. Naturopath?

DH and I are still deciding on what to do for LO's pediatrician. We've interviewed a regular mainstream Pediatrician and really like her but something is holding us back. DH really would like for LO's care provider to be a Naturopath. There is one in our area (we will meet with her next week) who is a member of the "Pediatric Association of Naturopathic Physicians." I was just wondering if anyone has had experience with using a Naturopath specifically for their child's health care. We will vaccinate but probably will be delaying a few which the Pediatrician we already met with said she would be fine with. Otherwise, my only concern is making sure that the care provider we choose is able to identify developmental milestones appropriately and isn't 100% always against medications like antibiotics WHEN absolutely necessary. Any thoughts on this? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pediatrician vs. Naturopath?

• I would consider a naturopath a supplement to a pediatrician (or family doctor, which is what we have), not substitute. I don't believe a naturopath CAN prescribe antibiotics or give vacccinations.

I'm not against alternative care (DS has been to the chiropractor, for example), but I am against denying proper medical care and pretending a naturopath can do it all.

• My aunt and uncle use a chiropractor/naturopath for all of my cousins' primary care.  The kids are in excellent health.  It's amazing, because they will go in for something like an earache, get an adjustment, leave with some natural remedies and feel better within a few days.  I do believe it works.

We chose to go with our family doc.  She has known our family for a while and knows our preferences to go natural when at all possible (for example, she knows we do not like to use antibiotics and only prescribes them for my kids when truly necessary).  She allows us to vaccinate on a delayed/alternate schedule.  She is even fine with me having a homebirth.  

I personally would not feel comfortable not going to a family doc at all.  We've had some serious problems with our kids - food allergies, hydrocele surgery, etc. and I feel like we needed an MD to help with the diagnoses in these cases - someone who could order ultrasounds and blood tests.  We do, however, use naturopaths in some cases.  I have Crohn's Disease and use holistic docs for treatment alongside my GI docs, for example.   

• Loading the player...
  • Our midwives are both naturopathic doctors. They can write prescriptions and administer vaccinations. We really want them as our pediatricians for Finn but our insurance doesn't cover it. :(:(:(
  • There are only a few things a naturopath can't prescribe. Most ped don't do their own lab work, they order out. so do NDs. Most GP or peds don't have ultrasounds, they order out, so do NDs. They can do almost everything your GP can do. Look at the certifications and specialties of the various providers you're looking at. The only thing that will keep me from using my ND for all of our baby's care is insurance. If it becomes too much to pay out of pocket for the ND, we'll see a ped for more things. Having both on hand would be good, especially if one has better schedule availability than the other.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We use a Naturopath for our son and there are a lot of things I like about it and some things I don't. For example they are not quick to jump on antibiotics. When my son was 3 months old he had an ingrown toenail and it looked like it was infected. She said to try a natural remedy and if it got worse they would call in antibiotics and if it was not improved in 24 hours they would call in antibiotics. It got better and was gone in two days. I think if we would have taken him to a pediatrician they would have just written the prescription. My niece sees the same Naturopath and she had an ear infection. They decided to try garlic drops and hold off on antibiotics and it was gone the next day. I love that they are willing to try natural things before trying medication, yet they are still willing to go the med route if the natural remedy does not improve the condition. They do have stipulations...bad cough means automatic chest xray etc. They don't mess with dangerous stuff.

They also go by a CDC approved delayed vax schedule which I like because we were planning on delaying some vaccines anyway, yet they are supportive if parents want to vax according to the CDC's standard recommendation or if parents don't want to vax at all. We did not get a positive response when discussing delaying vaccines with the other pedi's we interviewed.

With that being said, I also share concerns about identifying milestones. They are a lot more layed back in the Naturopath's office while I tend to be a little on the high-strung side. When LO wasn't reaching for toys at his 4 month appointment I was concerned. They kind of had the "he'll get there when he gets there" attitude and I didn't care for that. I am still not sure if I have confidence that they would catch a delay if there was one. For the record, he did get there like a week later so they sort of were right. I'm just not sure how I feel about it and for that reason we have considered switching for a more traditional pedi. My fear is that we will lose the ability to choose more natural remedies when problems arise.

So overall, I can't help you. lol. If it means anything we have stuck with the naturopath and will be seeing her again next week for Ollie's 6 month checkup.

Edit: Also, be aware if you choose a naturopath you may get flack from the hospital where you deliver (if you're having a hospital birth). They were really rude to us because we skipped the Erythromycin gel and we weren't going to be taking him to a "real" doctor.  

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I take DD to both a pediatrician and a naturopath. If my naturopath was more specialized for pediatrics I would take her solely to him absolutely. As it is I mainly only ever take her to the pedi anymore only when my naturopath cant get her in asap when she's very sick. If you really can't decide, you can utilize both. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Have you considered a Pediatric Osteopath? I believe an Osteopathic physician received the same training as a regular physician and has the same prescription priveledges but follows a more natural, holistic approach.  I looked hard for an Osteopath for our LO but there is not one within several hours of our home. I did end up finding a pediatrician whom I love though and who not only supports our vaccine/antibiotic choices but follows them for his own family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"