Special Needs

So, I declined ABA.

I don't know if this was a mistake or not.  We finally came up on a local clinics wait list and after much thought and discussion we opted not to do it.  I know its generally the "gold standard" for Autism treatmenat, but even after 2 months of research and discussion, I just don't think it would be hugely beneficial for us. 

We decided that extra OT would be where we will get our best bang for our buck.  Its the area he is the most behind in at this point so he'll be getting 1 - 3 hours per week from here on out.  We are also using the Social Thinking curriculum with him as well.

I hope I don't regret this!

Re: So, I declined ABA.

• I think it's good to know your child and what you think they will benefit most from, given that we can only pack so much in. That said, ABA has done wonders for ds (no diagnosis). Ou insurance just dropped coverage for it and I'm pretty upset to lose this. It's been so great that we decided we will pay out of pocket for one hour per week, which is still too expnsive, but again it has been so great for him. I am sure it depends on the therapist. Ours is a BCBA and excellent.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We opted against ABA as well, because it just wasn't going to give us the level of effectiveness for the hours that we could afford and didn't seem like the best therapy fit overall. 

It's easy to second-guess yourself, and ABA does have the research behind it -- but it's not the only effective therapy option. You've done your research and you know your kid and your situation. Best of luck!  

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"