Adoption
Options

Foster to adopt waiting time?

Hi, just wondering how long it took for you to adopt from foster care? TIA!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Foster to adopt waiting time?

• Options

You are going to get a ton of varying answers depending on the individual case. 

Our timeline was: about 11 months to get licensed.

2 months waiting for the right placement.

Then 2.5 years of fostering our children before we adopted them.

But, these were children who came into the system as straight foster placements then turned into foster to adopt down the line. 

Their baby sister was placed with a foster-to-adopt family in Feb when she was born (they were told she was low legal risk) and I would be shocked if they finalize before she turns a year.

Then there is the case of that foster-to-adopt family's other child who was also adopted from foster care but he was a safe haven baby (mom dropped the baby at a hospital anonymously) and they finalized within 6 months.

so yeah, it varies a lot.  best wishes on your journey!

• Options
    Yeah; it's really a case by case scenario. My dh I started the licensing process just over a month ago are hoping to be licensed by early December. So we're looking at possibly a 4 month time frame. In fact, our cw has already been talking with me about a one year old boy that has high potential for adoption granted there's no guarantee on that. After our background checks clear; we're going to meet him start visits. Cautiously excited: Good luck on your journey!
    Foster to adopt process started 8/2012:)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree with Ctbride- times vary based on the child and if you are doing straight foster-adopt or actual foster care that turns into an adoption. It took us five months to get licensed and we recieved our first placement two weks later. We are in the process of adopting our daughter whom we have fostered since March (she was 2 weeks old when she came to us). We are hoping the process is completed by her first birthday and our case is considered fast track.

Best of luck in your journey!

• Options

We started the process in April of last year and still aren't licensed.  We will FINALLY sign the last of our paperwork on Monday so it can be submitted to the state.  Then once we are licensed, they told us we will most likely have a 2-3 year wait, since we already have a 2 year old and a 3 month old (bio children). 

We are hoping to adopt 2-3 siblings and are open to moderate hearing loss and a few other special needs situation.  So I was somewhat surprised that they expect us to wait so long.  But I know in time the right children will find us, so we will be as patient as we can be!

5/10 - Gideon 6/12 Warren
    4/11 Started adoption process for 2 siblings through DCF. 10/12 Found out we are licensed! 12/14 Brought 3 week old identical twin girls home from the hospital.  Could be at least until Summer 1015 til we know if they are forever ours
  • Options
    It didn't take me very long to get licensed. I'm a teacher so I started the licensing process over the summer, this past June, when I wasn't working. I become officially licensed Aug. 20. I've only done respite care for two boys a few weekends ago. I'm still waiting for my first long-term placement. Since I haven't had my first placement and not every placement leads to adoption I have absolutely no idea how long it'll take before I'm able to adopt. Every story is totally different. GL! 
    Me (29)-Aspiring SMBC
    6 home inseminations=BFN
    2 IUIs= BFN
    3 IVFs=BFN
    June 2012-Decided to give up TTC and started the process to adopt from foster care!

Aspiring SMBC Blog

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
  • Options

We signed up with our agency in January of 2011, attended 6 weeks of classes and were finally approved in July 2011.  Our agency worked with us to place children with us for respite, so we could "test" out what we were comfortable with.  We met T & P last March, told them we wanted to be their forever family in June, and they moved in two weeks later.  They had been in care for 2.5 years and parental rights had already been terminated.  All paperwork and legal aspects should be final for adoption by mid-January!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"