Pregnant after 35
Options

PSA: cord blood / tissue banking

Because of my medical history, both my oncologist and obgyn practice strongly suggested that I bank cord blood / tissue. After researching some of the popular programs, I found out that Cord Blood Registry has a Newborn Possibilities Program --- essentially, it's free cord & tissue collection, processing, and banking for 5 years for qualifying families, which entails that a family member:

Has been diagnosed with a life-threatening disease currently treatable with a donor stem cell transplantHas an oncologist or attending physician who agrees stem cells may be used for treatmentIs a full sibling or biological parent to the newborn donor ? a first-degree blood relativeLives in the U.S.Has an active disease or is in recent remission

I hope it's ok to post this here, in case anyone qualifies and can use the service. I won't post a link, in case that's against the rules, but I'm sure that most who have looked into banking have heard of CBR. There is an application process, which I completed last week (fingers crossed that I get accepted).

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Beat stage 4 Hodgkins Lymphoma May 2011, YEAH!!!

BFP 3/30/12, with fingers and toes all crossed.

AMA (37) + GD = HR, grr.

EDD 12.12.12

Re: PSA: cord blood / tissue banking

• Options

Do you which diseases are covered by this? Would MS be one of them?

ETA: I found the information and I don't think it works for MS.

• Options
    good luck, Lip Balm! I hope your application is accepted! That would be amazing!
    BFP #2 5/31/12 CP 5w2d 6/4/12 BFP #3 7/9/12 EDD 3/8/13 Another Girl!! Lilypie Pregnancy tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageTX-Bride:

I'm sorry, I do not know the answer to that question, but I was told that the list of disorders on the CBR website is not exhaustive. I did a quick search online and saw that stem cells are a complementary treatment for MS, so I'd give it a shot and get in touch with them for more info. 

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

AMA (37) + GD = HR, grr.

EDD 12.12.12

• Options

imageElocin:
    good luck, Lip Balm! I hope your application is accepted! That would be amazing!

Thank you for the good luck! I know that acceptance means the difference between having to deplete the savings account and being able to hold onto our cash a little while longer. 

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

AMA (37) + GD = HR, grr.

EDD 12.12.12

• Options
    imageAddictedToLipBalm:
    imageTX-Bride:

I'm sorry, I do not know the answer to that question, but I was told that the list of disorders on the CBR website is not exhaustive. I did a quick search online and saw that stem cells are a complementary treatment for MS, so I'd give it a shot and get in touch with them for more info. 

Thanks for the information. Is always worth applying, worst thing they can say is no.

• Options
    imageTX-Bride:
    imageAddictedToLipBalm:
    imageTX-Bride:

Thanks for the information. Is always worth applying, worst thing they can say is no.

Yes, you're right, it can't hurt. I didn't know if I would qualify either (didn't know what their definition of "recent remission" would be), but when I called I was put in touch with someone very helpful who encouraged me to apply. The application process was pretty easy, just a few forms. The part that took a little while was the part that had to be completed by my oncologist (they want the treating physician to complete some info and sign it)... I had to drop it off at the office and pick it up about a week later. 

ETA: good luck, and please let me know how it goes for you! 

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

AMA (37) + GD = HR, grr.

EDD 12.12.12

• Options
    imageAddictedToLipBalm:

Yes, you're right, it can't hurt. I didn't know if I would qualify either (didn't know what their definition of "recent remission" would be), but when I called I was put in touch with someone very helpful who encouraged me to apply. The application process was pretty easy, just a few forms. The part that took a little while was the part that had to be completed by my oncologist (they want the treating physician to complete some info and sign it)... I had to drop it off at the office and pick it up about a week later. 

ETA: good luck, and please let me know how it goes for you! 

We still have a little ways to get there, I am only 7 weeks but that's something that DH & I talked about and we are interested and researching different services and their costs.

Thank you for this PSA.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"