C-sections

xp: c/s moved up

Hello there, I've also posted this on the Multiples board (where I usually hang out).

I spent the weekend at L&D for observation and monitoring after some tunnel vision, headaches, and low platelet counts last week.  Up until now everything has been going very smoothly.  My dr. decided to move up my cs from 38 weeks to TOMORROW (37 weeks, 1 day).  And I'm starting to get very nervous about it!  I made the decision a long time ago to opt for a section, but it has always been very surreal to me; spending time in the hospital really solidified it and now I'm scared. The only other procedure/surgery I've ever had was my wisdom teeth removed, and I had a panic attack before then too.  I'm the one whose eyes well up every time she gets stuck with a needle, just out of anxiety.  

Any tips on how to deal with the anxiety of major surgery?  I have lots of family support and I'm so happy to meet my LOs but the whole being cut open thing is getting to me.  

TIA 

Re: xp: c/s moved up

• Ask exactly what your doc is going to do. When I had my gall bladder removed, he told me step by step what was going to happen, from the time I got to the hospital until the time I was going to leave. I was convinced I wasn't going to have a c-section, so I hadn't read, I hadn't paid attention in birthing class, etc., Then, I was so upset I had to have the c/s, I didn't ask what he was going to do, so I went in unprepared and had a massive panic attack for several different reasons. I wish I had asked what he was going to do so I was prepared because I so wasn't prepared!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • I was really nervous and never had anything worse than my wisdom teeth before my c-section.  My OR nurse made a huge difference.  She was with me during the spinal (my H had to be out of the room) and together with the anesthesiologist they walked me step by step through everything they were doing with the spinal.  That was the worst part of me, then H came in and it just happened.  Based on my experience, you will want to tell your OB how much/little you want to know of the actual procedure.  My OB didn't say anything, didn't even announce my son's birth.  I am going to ask for that next time.  Good luck, I had a great experience
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"