Georgia Babies
Options

More advice.. on handling the indecisive toddler

So I know it all has to do with the fact he's 2. However MJD and this indecisiveness honestly drives me crazy. Right now he's in his bed screaming because he went back and forth on books he wanted read and we only read 2 books, and for the last one he wouldn't decide, I would start reading then he would say he wanted the other. I hold my ground and say you chose whatever it is, but of course he didn't like it started throwing an awesome fit. I proceeded to tell him if he didn't calm down no more book and straight to bed. Well clearly it didn't stop so in the bed he went. I know being consistent is the only way to avoid the behavior but man I feel like a big old b!!!h with the tone of my voice in order for him to get it and the fact its over a bed time story. Any advice would be awesome. Thank you!

Re: More advice.. on handling the indecisive toddler

• Options

that's how we'd handle it here too.  we have a similar problem with cooper and eating.  he doesn't.  but still thinks he can have a popsicle.  which he can't.  so for a while he would scream and cry while Jax ate his.  now he doesn't eat still, but knows he can't have a popsicle so he doesn't cry.  he might still ask a few times, but we just say no, you didn't eat, so you don't get one. 

(one example of many)  i know it's tough right now, but you're doing the right thing.  otherwise they will walk all over us!  :)

• Options
    Thank you!  It also happened last week because I tried to give him the option of what shirt to wear to school - talk about total fail!  And again this morning over brushing teeth.  But hopefully he will soon get it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My kids get 2 choices and then 5 seconds to make a decision. If they don't make up their minds in that time, I pick. If they throw a fit, I walk away. It only took a few times for each to figure it out and we still have "refreshers" every few months where we have to go thru the fits all over again. But mostly, they get it. Oh and Gavin's teacher taught me the best phrase ever... "You get what you get and you don't pitch a fit." He's been known to share these words of wisdom w/ Sophie when she's having a meltdown - lol.

• Options
    imageslwprincess:
    My kids get 2 choices and then 5 seconds to make a decision. If they don't make up their minds in that time, I pick. If they throw a fit, I walk away. It only took a few times for each to figure it out and we still have "refreshers" every few months where we have to go thru the fits all over again. But mostly, they get it. Oh and Gavin's teacher taught me the best phrase ever... "You get what you get and you don't pitch a fit." He's been known to share these words of wisdom w/ Sophie when she's having a meltdown lol.

Love the quote!! Totally going to use it. And you've totally made me feel better about the time limit too. I swear he would take all day to make a decision if I let him!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"