Adoption
Options

Ohio Foster/Adopt

I'm not sure if anyone here will know the answer to this question, but I thought I would ask. I have a son via international adoption and am getting ready to start updating paperwork for #2. I came across a child on a waiting children's list who has a special need we're open to...this child has been listed for at least 18 months, so I'm guessing they haven't had a lot of inquiries. 

Would we need to complete MAPP classes prior to being considered for this child (same state) or could we do that after determining if we were a viable placement? We do not want to be foster parents at this time, and I would hate to go through the whole process only to find out that the child isn't a good match for whatever reason. Has anyone done a "straight adoption" from foster care in OH? 

Re: Ohio Foster/Adopt

• Options

Hi SoSweet!

Most children on any waiting children websites are legally free for adoption, unless specified stating child is not legally free. This means the parents rights have been terminated - so you would not foster the child, it would be straight up adoption.

DH and I have gotten very close twice with adopting children from OH, but it seems there were other families that had more experience with special needs children, so OH picked them instead of us!

I don't know how OH the state works, but since you processed your paperwork internationally with your first child, I would call your local office, ya never know you may just be able to use your international home study for OH too. Here in NJ if you want to adopt from NJ - you must be licensed by NJ - we had to take the PRIDE (MAPP) classes for our license.

Wishing you my very best! Let us know how it turns out for you.

TTC since May 2007 - 12/20/07 Angel Baby - 03/27/08 Angel Baby - 06/08 Diagnosed with MTHFR (1 copy) - 07/08 Uterine Polyp removed - 9/5/08 Chemical Pregnancy - 10/08 started researching adoption agencies - 12/08 Found new RE - 2/09 had 3 large Fibroids removed - 10/15/09 Adoption Home Study Approved & waiting - 12/22/10 Angel Baby - 6/11 State Licensed as Foster Parents - 7/5/2012 Angel Baby 10/26/2012 - diagnosed with Asherman's Syndrome
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"