January 2012 Moms

Thinking of quitting...

Hello ladies!

I've been only breastfeeding and pumping for my baby since birth.  She's 8 months now and I still do both while working full time. I am thinking of quitting the pumping or maybe just not doing it at work? Not sure but getting really tired of pumping... I wanted to give her breastmilk as long as I could (around one year and possibly longer if possible) but if my supply ran out by 10 months I will supplement with goats milk (best next to breastmilk). Looks like we will make it to 10 months no problem. Plus I've got 5 gallons of milk in the freezer...

What do you guys think? Am I just being a quitter?? :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Thinking of quitting...

• lord i wanted to quit so many times!! I only made if to 7 months bc i had a few drops back to back that wiped me out.. I was strictly pumping since about 3 weeks old....HELL...having to carry all that crap around EVERYWHERE...not being able to go somewhere or do something bc you didn't bring it with you...BUT i miss it now. He will be 9months in 2 weeks and I will i was still breastfeeding. Formula is expensive! It sounds like you would have enough to last til one year, but i am not sure...also if you do quit i dont think you can just quit cold turkey otherwise youll get clogged ducts so it wont be an immediate stop...youll have time to adjust. You just do whats right for you and what works for you're little family! Good luck!
  • You've done pretty well to last all the way to 8 months.  You could try switching to part time nursing where LO still gets breastfed in the evening, but that's up to you.  Every family situation is different.

I don't think goats milk is better than formula at this point.  I'd discuss it with your doctor first.  I'm no expert, but I'd be wary to give my LO anything but breastmilk or formula before 12 months.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I think if you're ready to quit that's completely fine. You have made it a long time and as long as you won't regret stopping, go for it. But please talk with your child's doctor about other milk alternatives. I'd also not feel comfortable with anything but BM or formula until 1 for lots of reasons. But babies' digestive systems are still developing and they can't handle everything that ours can. There's a reason we don't go straight to cow's milk or other milk alternatives when people don't or aren't able to BF.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

DD 1/3/2012
    BFP 5/21/2013 MC 5/24/2013
    BFP 7/16/2013 EDD 3/27/2014
  • You're not a quitter! Pumping is no fun! I think you did a great job. Just make sure it's what you really want to do because once you quit, there's no going back!

So I looked up information about goats milk and I had no idea you could make your own formula (It makes sense though since formula hasn't always been around). I think that's awesome. If that's what you feel comfortable giving her than go for it! If I wasn't able to breastfeed, I would definitely look into an alternative like this!

• Hi ladies! Thanks for the encouragement and advice! You guys rock! So yes, goats milk is the the closest (biologically) breat milk that is a natural substance.  I was working with my naturopath and she recommended it but not before 10 months.  I would just rather give this than formula since we've made it the whole way without.  But I may be able to make it to one year with my stash and continued breast feeding. I definitely want to keep BF'ing (it's such a wonderful feeling and connection with baby girl) but the pumping....oh the pumping...

:)

• I don't think I need to add anything to it. It actually comes in a powdered form. I am assuming it's pasturized but I'll have to check. I hope to not need it for a couple months. :)
  • I'm with you on pumping... its terrible. I pump 3x a day at work and I really want to quit - but I'm so torn. I'm really worried its going to affect my supply, I don't have a large stash built up so I don't really have any backup - I might try dropping one session and see how it goes. Props to you for keeping it up this long though!

Interesting about the goats milk - I agree w/ pp about confirming this with someone with a MD or finding out where your naturopath gets their info. I would want to see where it was shown safe before feeding to my LO. It sounds like you might not even have to worry about it, but even so I'd confirm that your backup plan is 100%.  I know goats milk is more easily digestible than cows milk but I hadn't heard about making your own formula. Interesting... makes me wonder why some big formula company hasn't capitalized on it- goats milk formula. Or maybe they do?!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"