Natural Birth

Water labor but not water birth.

Anyone experienced just a water labor and not a water birth?  The hospital I will deliver at will allow you to labor (not sure until what point) but not give birth in the birthing tub.
imageimageimage VOTE on my Name List     
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Water labor but not water birth.

•   My hospital had the same policy.  I stayed in the tub until 10 cm then got out and pushed.  The tub really helped during those last couple of cm and transition.  FYI, they also wouldn't check me in the tub so I had to run back and forth to the bed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • This happened to me but it was not because my hospital would not allow me to deliver in the tub.  I had been pushing for over two hours and the midwife felt I needed to move around and do something different.  So long story short, I did not end up giving birth in the water.  It helped tremendously with pain, especially since I had back labor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep- LOVED the tub!! I was in and out of it for about 7 hours of my labor; it was fantastic!
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I spent most of my active labor in the tub the second time (no tub available the first time).  It was nice.  The hard part was getting out!  If they would have let me birth there, I would have stayed.  
  • My hospital has this policy.  For me it was no big deal.  I labored in the tub until I was 10 cm, the nurse allowed me do a few pushes in the tub before I moved to the bed. Once in the bed I was able to push my LO out in a few contractions.  The water really helped with my back labor and it kept me more relaxed. The transition to the bed was very easy, I just made sure I moved between contractions.
  • Do you think the water laboring helps helps with preventing tearing?
    imageimageimage VOTE on my Name List     
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes. DS1 was in a hospital that had jetted tubs, but their rules were so restrictive that I didn't get to use it later in labor. Plus, the hospital's tub wasn't truly a birth tub--not deep enough for maximum benefit and no warmer (just the water's warmth). When I was in it earlier in labor, it was glorious. When they told me no more tub, I put my birth ball in the tub and then sat on it with the shower head streaming on my back.

DS2's birth was not in the hospital and supposed to be a water birth. But, I had a complication and ended up needing to get out of the water about 3 pushes before he came out. The water was glorious. I spent loads of time in the bath and shower at home and in the birthing pool at the birth center.

• Eleanor was a half water birth - head out in the water and the rest on dry land (she had a minor shoulder dystocia so I had to get out on hands and knees to deliver her fully).  I can't say enough good things about the tub for labor - AMAZING!  In fact, at one point they made me get out because she needed to turn a bit and they felt I was a bit too relaxed in there.   It's definitely worth giving the tub a go, even if you can't stay in the whole time.
  • My hospital had the same rule.  I labored in the tub all through transition and it was glorious!  They were able to use the doppler underwater and check me so I never got out.  At one point baby's heartbeat got up to 160 and the nurse said that was the highest they wanted it to go and if it went any higher I would have to get out because I might be getting too hot.  I didn't want that, so I had DH add some cold water and it was never a problem again.  When I was fully dilated, the baby was only at zero station, so I decided to 'labor down' in the bath, because I didn't want to get out :) Finally, after 1.5 hours, when DD was at +2 station I got out and walked to the bed.  The walk wasn't bad and it wasn't terrible having to push on dry land, but a water birth would have been awesome!  
  • I labored in the tub, and I loved it. My hospital had the same policy. I was just so grateful to be allowed in the tub. It was heavenly.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • I labored in the tub but at the time the hospital didn't allow water birth. It was fantastic and I really liked how relaxed it kept me through the contractions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep - I labored in the tub at home, then in the tub at the hospital. I had to get out every hour for about 20 minutes to get on the monitors (ugh), but my time in the tub was heaven. I ended up putting a couple of drops of peppermint oil in the water, which set a wonderful mood, and I had candles going in my bathroom at home, plus flameless candles in the hospital. Incredibly peaceful! I was able to labor in the tub until my water broke, but I chose to change positions and try some other comfort measures before my water broke. My first labor room had a shower, but no tub, and we switched out of that room lickety split!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our hospital has this policy as well.  However, I do know of a few mommas who have refused cervical checks and then have been able to deliver in the tub  b/c they let their body do the pushing rather than pushing on attendant count (so they just let their uterus push baby out without any big ordeal & the staff wasn't aware of what was going on).  

Personally I labored in the tub at home but didn't have time to labor in the tub at the hospital as baby was born when I arrived at the hospital.  This time I brought cleaning supplies for my husband to clean the hospital tub just in case I do want to labor in it - I don't trust that their tub is clean enough :-)  The tub was okay at home, but I didn't like being cold after getting out as it caused me to shiver and it's hard to relax your body when you're shivering.

• I planned to labor in the water but not birth there. But then I was comfortable in the water. And I got the urge to push only minutes after getting in. There was absolutely no way I was getting out short of someone forcing me. So A. ended up being a waterbirth.

FWIW, my midwife never checked me in the water. Neither did she make me get out. She said to follow my body and push if I needed to.
  • With my first, I labored in the tub through transition and just got to push. It was heavenly! This time around I am planning a water birth.
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I loved laboring in the tub at the hospital. As others said, it did help take the edge of contractions. I would sort of move up and down in the tub on my hands and knees during contractions. I stayed in the tub until I started getting too cold, at about 7cm (I kept adding hot water, but my temp regulation sucks!)
  • My hospital had the same policy. I was in the tub for quite awhile and it was the most comfortable I was. If you want to read my birth story you can click on my blog link. I plan on doing a waterbirth this time (they have updated one of the hospital rooms now!).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"