Natural Birth

Considering drug free and I have some questions

Hello all! I am due with my first in December and I was always convinced that I would want drugs as soon as they will give them to me but the further along I get the more I would like to go med-free. I have been scanning through a few of the posts and just have a few questions.

Is it crazy for me to think that I can do without classes? I plan on reading some hypnobirthing and bradley method books to teach myself and wasn't sure if this was silly for me to think I could learn enough this way. I have down Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method, Husband Coached Childbirth, and Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way to pick up this weekend and start reading.

What is the best way to discuss my options and wishes with my OB and when should I start talking to him? We haven't discussed anything as far as labor and delivery yet so I was thinking of talking to him at my next appointment in October. I do know he avoids C-Sections and episotomy (sp?) as far as he can (he told me this at my very first appointment) so that makes me feel like he would be open to the natural way. Just not sure if there are things I should ask and discuss with him.

Any tips on how to get DH involved? He is all for me going natural or however I would like my birth to go I would just like to get him involved and help him learn how to be a good "coach" and advocate as it will only be him and I until after the baby gets here.

Thanks so much to any advice you ladies can give. :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Considering drug free and I have some questions

• Welcome!  Plenty of women on here have gone med-free without formal classes, so not crazy at all.  For me they were invaluable, but everyone is different.  The fact that you are reading and doing your research is huge!

As far as your OB I would start talking to him at your next appointment.  I would want to know:

If he encourages intermittent monitoring

If he encourages a saline lock over a running IV or perhaps nothing

When he recommends induction if you go past your EDD

What is the recommendation for if your bag of water breaks and contractions don't start immediately

His thoughts on eating/drinking while in labor

Possible pushing positions

This type of thing.  If you start to see a lot of red flags pop up in his responses then it might be time to look for a new health care provider.

In terms of getting DH on board, I know what worked for mine was having him watch "The Business of Being Born."  Good luck! 

• Plenty of women in the world have a med-free birth without classes. I didn't do classes, but I did hire a doula. I wanted someone there to support me and I knew DH didn't want to do the prep work to be that resource for me.

There is a post in the FAQ about things to ask your doctor to get a feel for how they view natural birth; I'd ask about intermittent monitoring and a hep-lock instead of an IV as some preliminary questions. 

The book "The Birth Partner" is excellent and a good one for DH. I would say to be realistic about whether he is committed enough to become a good birth coach - and if not, think about getting someone else involved whether a paid doula or a close friend/relative that "gets it" about having a med-free birth.

• Loading the player...
  • I have had 3 natural births and did all 3 without any "technique" class (ie. Hypnobirth). DH and I did take an invaluable pre-natal class before DS1 was born that was taught by a Doula and had a "natural" slant to it. DH learned a lot of great info there and was very reassured by it. 

I also did a ton of reading and research on my own, including lots of positive birth stories. And I would speak to DH about what I was reading, the reasons to go med-free, etc. He was on board pretty quickly. 

And I suggest you begin talking to your OB right away about your plans. And learn the intervention rate of your delivering hospital. If your hospital/OB are very intervention happy you may want to consider switching care providers, location, or hiring a doula. Good luck! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's definitely possible.  I took a general birth class, and did tons of research and felt well prepared.  Make sure you're very informed on the whole process of birth.  I recommend taking the hospital tour and making sure you're know their policies regarding eating during labor, IVs, fetal monitoring, and tubs/showers during labor (if that's something that interests you).  If you're concerned about anything you hear on the tour, bring it up with your OB and see if he'll let your bend the hospital rules.  Then if a nurse tries to give you a hard time, your support person can just tell them that you have your doctor's go-ahead.  I also recommend you discuss different laboring and delivery positions with your OB and make sure you're on the same page.  Good luck!
  • It's very possible, I didn't take any classes at all and had a 100% natural birth (not even an IV was administered to me) in a hospital. I did do a lot of research on my own. I read every book by Ina May Gaskin, watched some documentaries, read Birthing from Within and a couple others, focused on successful natural birth stories from the internet and people I knew, and meditated on it daily. I also hired a doula which was invaluable. You can do it as long as you are clear on what you want and have the support you will need from your OB, and anyone else involved in your birth. You can do it!
  • For me, whever we learned in birth class went out of the window when I was in labor. The only thing we used was breathing and only because DH remembered LOL.

babies

• Hubby and I went to one day-long class that covered childbirth, nursing, and basic childcare. That was the only class we took, and I did some research into coping strategies for labor pain. I didn't read anything on any particular method or on hypnobirthing. 

In our case, DH was with me all along, and especially supportive after talks with our perinatologist and family doctor about the reasons why they especially wanted to avoid my having a c-section. Basically, the more natural my childbirth could be, the better so far as my doctors were concerned.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"