Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

Prepared Childbirth at Baylor downtown?

Has anyone attended the prepared childbirth classes at Baylor? There is a night class for 3 Mondays in a row and a "fast track" class all day long on Saturday. I am wondering if it is worth the $95. As a FTM, I am thinking it might be good information. But really just wondering HOW informative and beneficial it would be?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary

Re: Prepared Childbirth at Baylor downtown?

• Options
    Are you delivering there?  The reason I ask is because I took this class at Presby Plano (where I delivered) and it was free.  It was an informative class, but it wasn't really anything I hadn't already learned from reading the millions of books I bought when I was pregnany with my first.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't have any experience with Baylor downtown but I took Prepared Childbirth at Baylor Frisco. I've heard different Baylors have different policies about the fee which sort of stinks...all of the classes at Baylor Frisco are free if you're registered to deliver there. I'm not sure we would have paid $95 for it if that had been the case. But I will say as a ftm that it did make me feel good to be attending an 'official' class. The Prepared Childbirth classes (we chose to take it split between two Sunday afternoons) consisted of the following items that I can remember:

-videos of vaginal childbirth, an epidural, and a caesarean

-basic information on breastfeeding

-review of potential complications such as pre-eclampsia

-review of the hospital policies on things like  visitors, rooming-in, length of stay, nurse ratios, etc

-lots of q&a

-breathing techniques and delivery position demonstrations, followed by getting down on mats and practicing

-optional tour of L&D, postpartum and nursery areas (we had already been on a separate tour of the hospital during an open house so we skipped this part)

I'm sure some other items were covered but that's what I can remember. I'm not sure how much the classes may differ from one Baylor facility to another, but since they give them the same name perhaps they are similar and this info will help you decide. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks so much!

Yes, I am delivering at Baylor downtown, and I guess their policies are different regarding the fee. I will call just to be 100% sure though. The info you posted about what is covered is very helpful though. Right now I'm leaning towards doing the free tour and doing some free online tutorials with DH. (And saving the $95 for other expenses!)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    Any hospital class teaches you how to 'Be a Good Patient in our Hospital'... I'd recommend taking an independent class that teaches mothers how to have confidence in the body that grows the baby to BIRTH it, to FEED it, to PARENT it. If you're looking for a more consumer empowering class, feel free to look at www.MotherMeDoulas.com - they teach on the Baylor Campus too and it is worth every cent!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"