LGBT Parenting

Opinions wanted on baby "Stuff"

I have an awesome opportunity tomorrow afternoon to go to a big used baby/kid item sale at our State Fair Grounds, called the Munchkin Market.  Because I'm currently expecting, I was able to register to shop on Friday evening.  General admission doesn't begin until Saturday morning.

Anyway, I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should look for.  I have a few big items on my list (jogging stroller, for example), but just not sure what else to keep my eyes out for.

What items do you parents out there think are good deals to pick up used?  Anything big that you had that you loved?  Anything you didn't have but would have loved to have?  Any and all suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
TTC since 6/11
Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

Re: Opinions wanted on baby "Stuff"

• We had a good thread about this a few months back.  I'll try to find it for you.
    Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.
    AMH 0.5, AFC 5-8, FSH 7ish

IVF #1 - antagonist.  Empty follicle syndrome.  1 retrieved, 0 fertilized.
    IVF #2 - antagonist.  Ovulated early.  3 retrieved, 2 fertilized, 0 blasts
  • Thanks so much!  I'll try to sift through as well.

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• Loading the player...
  • Rock'n'Play, swing, kimono-style t-shirts for newborn, NB or 0-3m onesies and sleepers, a Snap'n'Go if you're not buying a "travel system," Grass or Lawn drying rack, board books, dishwasher basket for bottle parts. I bought lots of cute shoes that don't fit yet at the couple consignment sales we went to, b/c they are very small and easy to store, often only $1 or $2 per pair and as long as they aren't sandals, they're good for whatever season is happening when the kids grow into them. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • A swing. Oh, my gosh, the swing was HUGE.
  • I tried my best but couldn't find it.  Have at it ladies! (And I'll save it this time for reference)
    Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.

• Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.

• You are all awesome!  Thank you so much.  I found another thread in addition to the one you posted above, so I have LOTS of info. to comb through now and help me create a list.  But additional suggestions are always welcome!

Thanks again.

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• Also, the book Baby Bargains is very helpful for figuring out (a) what you actually need, and (b) the best versions of that item in different price ranges (i.e., best luxury version, best budget version).
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I agree with the above, specifically swing and/or bouncy/vibrating seat.

I'll add:

Big swaddle blankets (esp SwaddleDesigns and Aden and Anais) and/or "cheater swaddles (such as miracle blanket, kiddopotamous).

Moby wrap, Ergo and infant insert, or other brand name, high quality baby-wearing equipment that you think you may want to use

Met 07/07/05, Wedding 07/07/07, Legal Marriage Ceremony 12/9/12, Baby Boy Born 08/09/13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • stroller, carrier (i regret not investing more in a carrier early on), vibrating/ swinging chair (i'd find one that does both, as we ended up purchasing two), extra carseat/carseat base (especially if interested in a convertible carseat)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh man, I seriously wish I had missed this post...I live within walking distance of the fair and it's going to take every ounce of restraint I have not to go tomorrow. The non private opening days for those sales are crazy busy and we don't need anything, but oh the fun!! Enjoy it!

I think the above suggestions are awesome, especially the swing and rock n play.

I would add a crib soother. Like the fish one from fisher price. Google it before hand. They are 40 and hard to find in Consifnment shops.

I'd also recommend focusing on things you will need right away unless you have a ton of storage space. It can be easy to get excited and buy an exersaucer for example, but I was at Once Upon A Child in st Louis park yesterday and they had at least 20 of them and baby won't need it for a few months. They also have lots of swings, if you don't find the perfect one at the market.

• imageLolaBelle515:
    Oh man, I seriously wish I had missed this post...I live within walking distance of the fair and it's going to take every ounce of restraint I have not to go tomorrow.

I'm totally parking on your front lawn for the State Fair next year.  j/k

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!  I have a nice little list started, and I'm excited to see what I can get!

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

• imageJGY:

imageLolaBelle515:
    Oh man, I seriously wish I had missed this post...I live within walking distance of the fair and it's going to take every ounce of restraint I have not to go tomorrow.

I'm totally parking on your front lawn for the State Fair next year.  j/k

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions!  I have a nice little list started, and I'm excited to see what I can get!

I wih we could do that! We'd make a ton of money like our neighbors: unfortunately we are at the top of a steep hill...boo! The hill did keep our vote no sign from being stolen though! 74 signs stolen in our neighborhood during the fair ..
  • I just stumbled on this thread and live in the Twin Cities.

The online registration (for new moms) is closed, but they encouraged sending a direct e-mail, so I did.

Here's to hoping they respond so we can shop tonight - I cannot imagine the chaos that goes on when this event is in full swing.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • Holy balls!

So, we went to the sale today and got some incredible deals.  Ended up with a high-end jogging stroller, 15 new or like-new outfits, Boppy with two covers, infant converter for the stroller, 4 hemp diapers, 20 microfleece diaper liners, and 2 wool diaper covers for $175.  

I guess they do these sales twice a year.  We'll definitely keep our eyes open for the next one(s)!  Thanks so much for the tip.

The word you're looking for is SEX.  I promise.  No, it's not gender.  It's sex.  You're welcome.
  • imagemypalbabs:

Holy balls!

So, we went to the sale today and got some incredible deals.  Ended up with a high-end jogging stroller, 15 new or like-new outfits, Boppy with two covers, infant converter for the stroller, 4 hemp diapers, 20 microfleece diaper liners, and 2 wool diaper covers for $175.  

I guess they do these sales twice a year.  We'll definitely keep our eyes open for the next one(s)!  Thanks so much for the tip.

CRAP!  Just saw this response!

Glad that you went and got such great deals.  You must have beat me there as that high-end jogging stroller was top of my list but I didn't see one that I felt was right for me (but did pick one up on Sunday off of Craigslist).  But I got some awesome deals on a few other things.

I was really overhwlemed by all the clothing.  In a good way, but still.  I was so happy I went and will definitely be at the next one too. 

Were you or your partner wearing a "Vote NO" T-Shirt, by any chance?

TTC since 6/11
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"