Georgia Babies
Options

Asthma moms - need advice

I really think that Hailey has a form of coughing asthma. She never wheezes or has trouble breathing, but she gets these horrible coughing spells/spasms and can't stop coughing.  For the past 2 years in Dec, she gets croup which turns into bronchitis. This year it started early in August with croup.  She has basically been sick for a month now catching one thing after another (croup, a cold, strep) but the cough is still present. It gets better and then gets worse again. We've had maybe 1 week in the past month where she has been able to sleep through the night without coughing.  She's been on 2 rounds of steroids and is now on antibiotic for strep. The pedi says her lungs are clear and she's not having trouble breathing, so in their world she's ok. That's all well and good, but they are not the ones that hear her at night hacking away and can't stop. They even did a blood count at my insistence bc she is pale and has circles under her eyes. One dr told me to use our albuterol inhaler, but another said not to, and CHOA urgent care told me not to when she had croup. Needless to say, I am not happy at all with our pedi's office and I don't know who to believe.

What are my options? I can switch pedi's, which I am contemplating. Who would I go to to get an official diagnosis - pulmonologist or ENT and would I need a referral from our pedi? Or should I request a sit down consult with our pedi to insist on some type of action? I just feel like it's getting to a point now where it's disruptive to her life and I feel like something needs to be done. Any advice?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Asthma moms - need advice

• Options
    Not a asthma mom but I wanted to say sorry and that I hope Hailey feels better soon. I do know the the albuterol inhaler doesn't work for croup or at least that is what I was told by me pedi. I would def start looking for a new pedi though. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Gavin never really had true asthma- he was too young for that diagnosis. But his symptoms were similar to what you described. For him, it started with a cold that turned into pneumonia right after he turned 1. After that initial illness, it was 14 mos of constant lung problems. The cough would improve, then he'd catch another cold, and it would all start again. There were periods of daily breathing treatments and periods of emergency only treatments and then periods of nothing at all. Then, all of sudden it stopped. I still have the neb and the meds up to date, but (KNOCK ON WOOD) he hasn't needed it in a very long time. I remember the frustration and confusion- its maddening. First of all, if you aren't happy with your pedi, I think you need a second opinion. Secondly, I referred to this article many times when I was confused about what he needed in that moment- it breaks down coughs/colds and talks about each medication and what it does and I swear, it really helped me stay sane... https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/coughs-colds-sinus-infections

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DS had the night cough that would wake me up from accross the hall, and it would happen at times during the day.  We noticed that it had started this fall as well.  We decided to try children's Claritin @ night, and that has solved our coughing problems, at least for now.  Just a thought, as I know its been a rough allergy season this year.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Has she been tested for allergies?  They call the dark eye circles 'allergic shiners' and it's a classic symptom of allergies.  Colin has them and we are doing a blood test Monday for a broad range of allergens. Once we get the results, we will evaluate whether we can use a nasal steroid or liquid or if we need to do allergy shots.  Good luck - hope she feels better soon!
  • Options

imagecare99:
    Has she been tested for allergies?  They call the dark eye circles 'allergic shiners' and it's a classic symptom of allergies.  Colin has them and we are doing a blood test Monday for a broad range of allergens. Once we get the results, we will evaluate whether we can use a nasal steroid or liquid or if we need to do allergy shots.  Good luck - hope she feels better soon!

Ditto this. Geneva used to have lots of coughing created by post-nasal drip associated with allergies (she was also borderline Reactive Airway Disease that caused asthma-like wheezing with colds). She also has the dark circles under her eyes like what Carrie mentioned. We use children's Zyrtec to good effect. 

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It may be linked to reflux. We have been seeing a GI doctor for both kids and he mentioned the coughing being linked to reflux. Also a friend's son has had croup multiple times and they have traced it back to reflux. Aerin has also been getting croup but only when we are near the Atlantic Ocean. She gets it a day after we have been at the beach. Stinks because its usually when we are on vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"