Illinois Babies
Options

Cost of nannies vs. daycare

Hey all,

I am Veterinary Technician and my job requires long days and standard day care doesn't seem like it would work for me.  I usually work until 6 or past 6 and most centers close.  So I wanted to see if anyone  could give me a ballpark comparison of daycare vs an in home nanny costs.  I currently live in Bolingbrook and we are talking about moving to Chicago because we both work in Chicago.  Any advice or pointers would be much appreciated.   

Re: Cost of nannies vs. daycare

• Options

I don't know how much help I'll be comparing it to a day care setting, but I've been a nanny for 6 years for 4 different families (2 FT, 2PT). I worked in a day care before that, but don't remember what the rates were. I have a B.A. in Developmental Psych and have been babysitting since I was 15.

As far as my rate, My first family I was paid an hourly rate (I think around 11/hr, but i don't remember), but the family I worked for could no longer guarantee me full time. So i could no longer afford to work for them. Since then, I have required a guaranteed flat rate/week and anything over those hours is an hourly rate. EX: 35/hr a week + $12/hr =$420/week guaranteed, anything over 35/hrs would be at that $12/hr rate.They have also included Paid vacation days and withdrawn Unemployment, Social Security and Medicare from my check. These are all, because it has been a long term commitment for both of us. I typically charge $12-$15/hour as my basic rate.

Obviously, that rate has been negotiable based on hours/number of children/caregiver experience/etc. I am currently only working 3 days a week for 1 family and am expecting my first child in December. They have been wonderful and want me to continue working after DD is born, if I'm interested.   

Having worked in a Day Care setting myself, I would personally prefer a nanny in my home over sending my child to day care, until at least age 3. I think day care can provide valuable socialization, but the bond you're children will develop with the Nanny can be life long. Depending on where you live and if you will be allowing you're nanny to have access to a vehicle, there are LOTS of classes that allow for more socialization.

I hope this helps and good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Thanks atalerico,

Your info did help.  I know that a nanny may be slightly more expensive than a daycare, but I know that since I work longer hours that it would be nice to have my little one at home as soon as I get there.  I have been researching nanny info and saw the nanny shares and other nannies that get together with similar age kids to do activities.  It just seems such a better option for the days I can't do those activities with my kid.  It is nice to hear that you offer the socialization as part of your package.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

We recently had to hire a new nanny, and since our son is almost a year old, we considered putting him in daycare instead.  We are near oakbrook, so we looked at 3 different day cares near us, and they ranged between $315 to almost $400/week.  We have nanny now, who we pay hourly, and she earns $13/hour.  Our first nanny was $11/hr.  The current nanny is AMAZING and worth every penny.  Our first go-around, we were pretty convinced that we didn't want to pay more than $11.  She was kind, but pretty lazy.  Most days they would just sit in the house all day and watch tv.  This wasn't terrible when he was immobile, but now that he's a "big boy" he needs to be engaged for most of the day.  The new nanny goes on several walks a day, never even turns the tv on, and is so much more involved with him than I would have expected.  we adore her.  SOOO worth the extra $100/week.  

So it comes down to between $180 - $100 more per week to have a nanny come to your home.  You should be able to get a great nanny for one child for $13/hr.  Our schedules are somewhat sporadic as well, so for us the convenience factor of having a nanny is very important.  And the fact that he gets that one on one love from a wonderful person makes me feel so good about our decision.  You really do sort of get what you pay for.  Good luck - it is never an easy decision! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"