Nurseries and Baby Gear

Mat/towel under carseat for leather seats?

Since I'm a FTM, this is all new to me.  We are going to be installing our carseat in the next two weeks and plan to take it to the local fire department for inspection once it's in.  But I do have a random question.  Can we put a towel or mat under the carseat base to protect the leather seats?  Or is this unsafe?  I obviously want to be 100% on the safe side and don't want to risk any harm in an accident.  But I wasn't sure what your thoughts were.  Sorry if this is a completely naive question.  Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mat/towel under carseat for leather seats?

• BRU has a thing called a seatsaver. They cover the back of the seat, under the car seat and then down the front for when they get older and their feet are touching and/or rubbing against the leather or fabric. I'm sure they are available other places, as well as similar seat pads, etc. I don't see why they wouldn't be safe. You'd think they would have to be if they sell them.. but that's not always true! I'd check before buying.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

• The car seat mats are unsafe abs unnecessary. A thin towel will work just fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • Loading the player...
  • We have leather seats but we weren't planning on putting anything underneath the base to "protect" the leather.

In any case, we went to our local PD carseat safety inspection/installation, and the inspector ended up putting a thin piece of fabric (he calls it carpet, but it's very thin) underneath the base.  He did that b/c the fabric actually helps to keep the base stable rather than sliding off the leather.

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we were told no mats, no mirrors, no shades (unless they stick directly on the window..nothing with a suction cup) no bundle me and no toys that attach to the seat by our local police.
  • imageWifeofMrA:
    we were told no mats, no mirrors, no shades unless they stick directly on the window..nothing with a suction cup no bundle me and no toys that attach to the seat by our local police.

This exactly!
  • imageWifeofMrA:
    we were told no mats, no mirrors, no shades (unless they stick directly on the window..nothing with a suction cup) no bundle me and no toys that attach to the seat by our local police.

THIS!

• Ick, don't do it. We had a seat saver once, moisture got under there (humidity), it got mold under there. I check the seats regularly, so I caught it, but there are still marks on the leather. Towels and such won't save the leather, it wipes down fine. And you can't prevent indents with a properly installed car seat, it's a hazard of having kids.

The only time a towel is "allowed" is rolled up at the bight if the angle on a rf install is not correct. 

• This is so frustrating. We just bought one and there are so many opinions on it I don't know what is legit and what isn't.
  • imageJessii266:
    This is so frustrating. We just bought one and there are so many opinions on it I don't know what is legit and what isn't.

Check your car seat manual. Also, car-seat.org is great place for car seat questions. They've helped me out before! :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    212 Facebook Admin.
  • We were told mats are fine as long as the seat is still installed properly.  Mirrors they said it's a parent's judgment - it's safer to not have them in a crash b/c they could come off & hit baby in the head...but then ANYTHING in the car that isn't tied down is a hazard (groceries, purses, etc).  They said it's safer to have the mirror up than mom trying to see what is wrong with baby or being distracted by baby w/o the mirror.  So basically each parent would have to weigh the pros and cons and decide.  We were told only use the shades that cling on the window (not that have a suction cup).

• imageWifeofMrA:
    we were told no mats, no mirrors, no shades (unless they stick directly on the window..nothing with a suction cup) no bundle me and no toys that attach to the seat by our local police.

This. We have had a carseat installed in our car with leather seats for 2.5 years so far, and there is zero damage to the leather. You really don't need anything. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• we used a thin receiving blanket as recommended by the car seat tech.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"