Parenting after 35

How common is having pre-e again?

My husband and I have decided to try for baby #2.  Now that we?re both on board I?m feeling a little nervous.  I had developed Pre-e in my 7th month and delivered at 37 weeks via emergency c-section.  Just wondering if anyone that had pre-e once did you have it again?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Delivered 3 weeks and 2 days early via emergency c/s due to pre-e

Anniversary
Trying to Conceive Ticker image

Re: How common is having pre-e again?

• Hi, I'm sorry you had to go through that! I don't know the stats for developing pre-e a second time, but when I was pregnant I was told that it was highly likely that I could get pre-e due to my existing medical conditions (diabetes, history of hypertension, etc.). She casually mentioned to the medical students who were with her (this was a teaching hospital) that my chances of developing pre-e were something like 95% (thanks for that reassuring info, doctor!).

Well, I never got it at all. So I don't know how accurate these stats are. Do you have any conditions that might lead to pre-e (high blood pressure, etc.)? If so, ask if there's a way you can really manage it well during pregnancy so that your chance of getting pre-e are reduced. I took insulin and monitored my sugar levels, etc., and reduced my salt intake. I don't know if that helped.

I was monitored twice a week, and my urine samples were always checked for protein levels, so that was very helpful. Since you already had pre-e they might do the same for you. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • A friend and occasional poster here did develop Pre-E for her second baby last month. She had a scheduled C for 39 weeks, but ended up delivering at 37 weeks (if I am correct).

I can understand being nervous about that. I'd speak to your OB about this, too.

Wishing you the best and hope baby #2 will come along soon.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Loading the player...
  • It's another thing in life that comes back to a 50:50...  Either you will or you won't.  If it's going to happen it's going to happen, the only thing you can do is be proactive about cutting your risk factors as much as possible but otherwise, it's really out of your hands. 

With my first I was borderline, second I was monitored on two occasions with the second being an induction two days shy of my EDD and once I got there my BP was never elevated as it was when I was at the clinic, so go figure... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageVincent:

My husband and I have decided to try for baby #2.  Now that we?re both on board I?m feeling a little nervous.  I had developed Pre-e in my 7th month and delivered at 37 weeks via emergency c-section.  Just wondering if anyone that had pre-e once did you have it again?

Even though you delivered at FT you might want to post this question on the Preemie Board. A lot of moms delivered early due to pre-e over there and are/have had #2. GL & HTH! 

• My sister-in-law had it with her first pregnancy--didnt have it with the other 3
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • My m/w told me that statistically if you have pre-e once you are more likely to have it for subsequent pregnancies.  I was worried about whether or not I would be able to see a m/w in the future because I developed pre-e at 41w and was transferred to an OB.  A lot really depends on why you developed pre-e (I had no risk factors).  My SIL had pre-e for both. If you believe in alternative health care, my m/w suggested seeing a naturopath regularly for subsequent pregnancies just to keep your liver healthy as there is some suggestions that pre-e may be linked to liver problems.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"