Two Under 2

Parental Support?

Within two weeks of deciding to try for #2, we found out we were pregnant. the LOs will be 20 months apart. I am excited, as is DH. My MIL is extatic, she had six kids all 21-27 months apart. However, my family seems a little more hesitant. My dad didn't respond with as much enthusiasm as he did with DS. He simply said I was going to have my hands full. I have yet to tell my mom, as I know she will judge and criticize rather then support.

I know that having 2 under 2 is a challenge. But my thoughts are, if I know I want more then one child, and I want them to be close in age... is there really a difference between a 20 month age gap and a 26 month age gap?

Anyway, I was just curious if any one else had some family/friends that were apprehensive to accept the news, and how you delt with it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Parental Support?

• yes, yes, and did I say YES!  People who don't have/want 2 under 2 (or big families) don't tend to "get it", and they never will.  Most people don't intend for what they said to be mean, but in any case my latest response to "you have your hands full" is, "not really,  I just have very good time management skills".

Try to keep in mind that it's your family, and your choice.  You probably aren't going to change anyone's mind to trying to argue or justify your choice will probably result in more frustration on your part.  Congrats and a happy and healthy 9 months to you!

I also tell people each age gap has it's pro's and con's, so it's not really easier when they are farther apart, it's just different.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Thank you. I completley agree! My parents only had my brother and myself and we are four years apart. And my mother didn't much enjoy being a mother so I guess she just doesn't understand period. It's a little hard when it's your parents that don't approve though, for some reason I am so stuck on having their approval. But this was what DH and I decided and we are happy with our choice. A little nervous, and the negative vibes don't help, but I agree that there are challenges with having more then one at any age gap :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My MIL reacted the same way when we found out about DD2. They are 14 months apart and apparently that makes us crazy! She wouldn't even acknowledge that we had a LO on the way and didn't buy her one single thing. she shows love by buying stuff luckily she has showed interest since we had DD2 but I was worried she had already picked a favorite grandchild. I'm sorry. People will judge and disagree but your LOs will be very close and it's hard to add another child to the mix no matter what the age difference.

Hope the parents get over their surprise and can be more excited for you guys!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"