Food Allergy

XP - MSPI Moms

XP on breastfeeding board.

Last wednesday we found blood and mucous in my sons stool.  Took him to a walk-in clinc and she could not see any tears or fissures and was concerned so she sent us to the hospital and said they would probably want to do an ultrasound (I assume to check for blockages). The ER doc didn't pay much attention to us and said it was probably nothing and sent us home. However it happened again, and I took him to the children's hospital. That doc saw a fissure and said that was the cause. I don't understand how this could have been missed by the previous two doctors. He suggested waiting a week and if there was still blood, get a referral to a pediatrician (here our babies see a family doc, unless there are other issues).

I am worried that something is upsetting him, and it's this that caused the fissure, rather than the fissure causing the initial blood.   In the past I had suspected a dairy issue, as my son had bad gas when he was younger, and he spits up a lot. My doc says its no problem, and it's just something he will grow out of. I tried to go dairy free, but was really struggling when he was younger, as it was hard enough to find time to eat, nevermnd a special diet. I have asked the doctors we have seen, and they all assure me that if it was an intolerance my son would not be gaining weight so well. I don't know if I should just wait the week and see  If things improve as the doctor suggested, or if I should just go ahead and start an elimination diet and see what happens. For those that are diagnosed MSPI, what was the process with the doctors? Is there an official "diagnosis", or do you just follow the diet and wait for improvement?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP - MSPI Moms

• Sorry to hear about all of this. Sometimes doctors make so mad! If I were you I would eliminate dairy IMMEDIATELY. It takes time for the milk proteins to leave your body andthen your baby's body (about 4 weeks total), so it could take time until you see any results. Unfortunatly he could also be intolerant to other things besides dairy and if that's the case just eliminating dairy wouldn't be enough. If you really want to continue breastfeeding I would do a total elimination diet with the top allergens. You can read about it here https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-infants-toddlers/food-allergies/elimination-diet

Once you cut everything out for at least 2 weeks you have to reintroduce one food group at a time and see if baby reacts to anything. I would keep a log with everything you eat every day and a log for baby too (amount baby eats at each feeding, BM's, sleeping patterns) because food intolerances could manifest in many ways. My son for example has MPI and it took me forever to find out because his only symptom was that he stopped sleeping. GL.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Thanks, I think you're right that I should start right away! Wish m luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry you're going through this. Its so tough not having a clear idea whats going on with your baby. With DS I suspected the MSPI before the diagnosis as well. Really painful gas etc. He was officially diagnosed after we found blood in his stool. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP#1 on 02/14/09 BIRTH to Mason 6lb9oz on 10/12/09

BFP#2 on 5/28/11 EDD 2/1/12 Natural M/C on 6/13/11

BFP#3 on 1/20/12 EDD 9/30/12 Natural m/c on 1/27/12

BFP#4 on 4/23/12 BIRTH to Isabella 7lb1oz on 12/19/12

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"