Dads & Dads-to-be

Where where you?

Hey Dads,

My wife is due on Friday and I'm working my normal 45-50 hours this week since I'm planning on taking almost a month off to be home with her and my son. BUT I'm wondering where will I be when her water breaks or the contractions kick in? Where were you guys? Did you rush home when you got the call or meet her at the hospital. Ideally I would like to be home, but if my kid comes early or during the work day, I'll be in the office.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Where where you?

• I don't have any personal experience with this yet, but my dad did not do well when the time came for me to be born.  He left my mom at home in the morning to go play racquetball with a friend because he didn't realize what was going on.  While they were talking during their game the topic somehow came up and his friend (father of 2 at that point) basically told him he screwed up big time and to get my mom to the hospital.  Just based on the fact that you are on this site, I am going to guess you won't have this problem.

Hope everything goes well!

• Why would you stay at the office when your wife is in L&D? Please tell meI misinterpreted. Otherwise...that is nuts. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Advanced warning:  This is a long story.

My days off are Wednesday and Thursdays.  The baby was scheduled for c-section delivery on Monday.  Contractions kicked on Wednesday, but they were still 10 minutes apart.  They stayed that way for quite some time until around mid day Thursday when they started increasing in frequency to the point where they were roughly 5 minutes apart by 9 that evening on a consistent basis.  We called the doc, on their instruction we went to the hospital.  We sat in a triage room from about 10pm to about 3:45 where they told us that nothing was progressing at that point and they were releasing us to go home.  When we got home VERY early on Friday morning, when we got upstairs and I set foot in our master bedroom, my alarm for work went off.  I maybe grabbed 30 minutes of very uncomfortable sleep in the chair they had in the room.  So, I informed my bosses of the situation (they were aware my wife was due shortly well in advance), they said not to worry about it, they'd cover it.  Slept in until about noon, kept tabs on my wife's labor all day.  It got as close as 3 minutes at one point.  We called the doctor yet again, they asked her a few questions (what they were, I have no idea as she didn't put them on speaker), and apparently by my wife's answers they told her we could go back to the hospital again if we wanted, but there was a 90% chance that we'd get sent home again.  My wife at that point had enough.  She was tired of the goal line being moved.  She said at that rate, she'd just have him at home.  With that news, I went to bed Friday evening at my normal time so I could go to work the next day.  I get to work, they had assumed I wasn't going to be in, so I had no where to go (I work in beverage retail in multiple outlets a day).  They finally came up with a plan and about an hour later, I get the phone call saying that her water broke.  I ask if she's sure and she assured me that there was no other option, this was A LOT of fluid (she measured on the high end of normal for amniotic fluid, so it made sense).  At that point, I dropped everything I was doing and ran out of my outlet at approximately 8 am Saturday morning, racing home well beyond the speed limit (but not dangerously so) to get my wife and go to the hospital.  In my rush, I did manage to call my boss to let him know what was going on, but failed to clock out immediately (we clock in and out via our smart phones), but about 1/3 of the way home.  Anyways, long story short, got home, drove her to the hospital and about 2 1/2 hours later, 10 lb, 1 oz son (born 12 days early) arrived into the world.

• We were already in the hospital going through our hellish second day of induction.  It was around 5 pm the night before the boy was born.

It was actually a relief for us because we were so afraid the induction would not work and that they would have to go the c-section route.  My wife was funny....she asked the nurse if she was peeing because something was dripping down her leg.

At that point our lack of sleep was very evident to everyone we came in contact with!

• imagepolooo26:

imagesadsadie:
    Why would you stay at the office when your wife is in L&D? Please tell meI misinterpreted. Otherwise...that is nuts. 

You misinterpreted. Not even sure how you came to that conclusion.

I was wondering the same thing lol.

We will see where I will be come January lol. With the way our luck is running I will probably be right in the middle of a major outage at work with some SAN failing or something lol.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was sitting right next to her at home. 

Given my schedule, it could have been much worse.  I officiate high school sports, and was right in the middle of basketball season.  When the season started, I turned back 6-8 assignments just to reduce the chance of me just stepping onto the court for warmups at a school an hour away and have her call.  Or worse yet, once the game started and she could no longer reach me.  I made sure I had no games one month before, and in January I only did local games.

there are two motivations in sports, which is yours?
  • imagesadsadie:
    Why would you stay at the office when your wife is in L&D? Please tell meI misinterpreted. Otherwise...that is nuts. 

No, I'm working now even though she is due on Friday....but I would leave immediately if it was time to head to the hospital. I was just wondering where men where when their wife's water broke or it was time to go to the hospital.

• imageDavidStamps:

imagesadsadie:

No, I'm working now even though she is due on Friday....but I would leave immediately if it was time to head to the hospital. I was just wondering where men where when their wife's water broke or it was time to go to the hospital.

Man you must be thrilled!!!!! Time seems to be going by so slow- I bet in retrospect however, I will be thinking "jeez, it seems like yesterday we found out she was pregnant".

Be sure to come around often and keep us updated about your son once he gets here!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageDavidStamps:

imagesadsadie:

Ah, I see. I didn't think you would want to miss the arrival of your LO, but I was having trouble understanding about the being in the office bit. Sorry, and good luck!  

• imageRockyTopVols:
    imageDavidStamps:

imagesadsadie:

Man you must be thrilled!!!!! Time seems to be going by so slow- I bet in retrospect however, I will be thinking "jeez, it seems like yesterday we found out she was pregnant".

Be sure to come around often and keep us updated about your son once he gets here!

My wife and I were just talking about this last night.  Even with the LO being only 3 weeks, it seems like forever since my wife was pregnant....just a distant memory.

A newborn really suck time perspective out of you.  Those first days home were like slow motion film because of the massive lack of sleep that first week.  Just crazy!!

• My wife was 2 weeks late. But the last 3 weeks before our daughter was born my boss kept my jobs close to home. The deal was if she went into labor at work, she was to stay there and i would go get her,

We got lucky, she started having contractions on Thursaday. They were 6-8 min apart but not strong so we both went to work. Friday they were stronger, closer and lasting longer so neither of us went to work but we wound up going to the hospital that afternoon and she was born that night. Her water didnt break until she started pushing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"