April 2011 Moms

won't drink cow's milk

I am still BF-ing 2 to 3 times a day, so I'm not totally worried yet, but DS fully rejects cow's milk, and I'm getting very low on frozen BM to send to daycare.

I've tried it cold, warm, whole, 2%, in a bottle, in a sippy cup, with chocolate flavor, with strawberry flavor... but, DS eats yogurt and cheese with no hesitation. He takes one sip of milk, makes a nasty face, and either hands the cup back or throws it on the floor. 

Pedi isn't worried, said some kids aren't big milk drinkers - he himself wasn't and still isn't.  He said if DS is thirsty enough, he'll drink it.  While I trust his medical opinion, he's not burdened with the responsibility of feeding my DS well every night, like I am.  Wink

Reassure me that DS isn't missing nutrition (he's a GREAT eater, hasn't turned away anything until we tried milk) and/or please suggest more ways to "trick" him into giving milk a chance.   All my research has me going in circles. THANKS!!

Re: won't drink cow's milk

• I don't think you said you tried mixing BM with WCM. Have you tried that? Maybe start with mostly BM and slowly reduce the amount until it is all WCM?
  •  THAT was the one thing I was forgetting in my list.  If I even put a splash of WCM in with the BM, that's when he hands it back.  When I try giving him all WCM in any form, flavor or temperature, he throws it on the floor. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I know it can be stressful but it sounds like he's getting great nutrition from his foods so I wouldn't worry about it. He may start liking it one day or maybe not. WCM is not a necessity for us humans. Yes, it is a great source for fat, Vitamin D and Calcium but it's not the only source. And if you feel like he is lacking in anything, he could always take a vitamin.

My DD hates milk also until I mixed in some Vanilla Pediasure. And she will only drink it out of those take & toss sippy cups.

• Hmm, that's frustrating. How does your pedi feel about trying soy or some other alternative product?

It sounds like his diet is balanced enough that this isn't a big concern. I wouldn't worry too much if you have exhausted all of the options and still nothing works. I suppose you could always try again when he is older. It's hard though, especially since we are programmed to be sure our LOs get lots and lots of milk. Good luck, Mama!
  • DD does not drink milk. I weaned completely in July and after talking with her pedi, I just make sure to offer plenty of cheese and yogurt on top of a balanced diet. She will take a sip here and there, but not enough to really even mention. She's willing to eat cereal in milk now, but she used to refuse even that. 

I know it can be frustrating, but I've run in to quite a few toddlers that just didn't like milk. Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was in exactly your shoes about two months ago.  We were still nursing 2x/day and DD would not drink WCM at all.  I tried every single thing I could think of - adding milk to the BM, every type of cup imaginable, soy milk, almond milk, homemade strawberry syrup and even a touch of chocolate syrup - and nothing worked.  As soon as I weaned her completely, she started asking for milk all the time and drinking a whole cup of milk when she wakes up, a whole cup at bedtime and sometimes another at nap time!  I was shocked since I had tried everything under the sun and had come to the conclusion that she just didn't like cow's milk, but my DH said that it made sense since...why would she want that milk when she could have mommy's milk!  Not that this is any reason to rush weaning of course, but I figured I would share our story to let you know that there is a possibility that your child could decide to drink milk after you stop nursing.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD won't touch WCM either.  We found that she would drink vanilla almond milk (we get the unsweetened kind), so we give her that.  I am still bf'ing quite a bit and our ped had said that we should expect her to refuse WCM as long as I was bf'ing ...
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    bfp 4/8/2010, m/c 4/16/2010
    bfp 7/31/2010, dd born 4/2011
    bfp 2/7/2014, edd 10/19/2014, m/c 2/25/2014
    bfp 5/22/2014, edd 1/27/2015, MMC 6/30/2014, D&C 7/8/2014
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"