Military Families
Options

OB orientation for Walter Reed at Bethesda

My Husband and I live about 45 minutes from WRNMMC at Bethesda and we just found out we are expecting our first child!  The Naval Health Clinic here does not have the means to deliver but I can be seen by someone there in the mean time.  We do have to go to the OB Orientation at Bethesda though and I was wondering what to expect and how often they have them?  Also, should my husband go with me to the orientation?  I am waiting for my referral to go through to Bethesda and then will make the appointment.  I am not sure how far along I am right now... anywhere from 4-6 weeks probably.  We would love to go ahead and have an ultrasound but it doesn't sound like they always do them at the orientations.  I have been told I have to wait until 10 weeks and can then be seen by someone at the Naval Health Clinic in my town, which is fine.  Has anyone been in a similar situation and does anyone have advice as to if I should see the doc in my town or goes to Bethesda for every prenatal appointment?  Oh and we will be moving right around my due date.... so many things to consider.  Any help would be great!

Re: OB orientation for Walter Reed at Bethesda

• Options

I will be giving birth there as well.  I had to go to a transfer orientation as I was 24 weeks pregnant when I got here.  I am glad that my husband went with me and  there were many spouses at the transfer orientation. There was a lot of paperwork that I had to fill out and I was glad my spouse was there to help with it.  I also got to tour the hospital. I had to attend the transfer orientation before I was given an appointment.  I am only getting an ultrasound done at 32 weeks because they haven't done one yet and my records are in German and they can't read them.  From what I've been told, they don't do ultrasounds very often. 

I'm about 45 minutes away as well and live at Ft Meade.  Bethesda actually has an OB that comes out 1 time a week to see patients.  I've been taking care of my appointments this way which has been really nice. 

• Options
    It's good to know someone else is in the same boat as me.  We live in Annapolis and will be moving to Quantico in April which is pretty close to my projected due date in May.  So needless to say, I won't be delivering at Bethesda but I have heard great things about the facility.  I think that I am going to see the doctor here in Annapolis as long as I can to keep the trips to Bethesda down to a minimum and so my husband can go with me.  How often do they offer the orientations?  I know you had to do a transfer orientation, which is probably a little different, but it may be able to give me some kind of timeline as to how often the offer them.  I'm hoping to be able to book it tomorrow but may have to wait until Monday.  Since it's our first pregnancy we are eager to get started with everything!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you are Prime and living at Quantico when it's time for delivery, you'll be delivering at Fort Belvoir. I started out at the Woodbridge clinic for my OB care. I was told I'd deliver at Belvoir. At a good time of day, it would take 45 minutes to get there. During a bad time of day, it could take 2+ hours. I switched to Standard and 24 weeks and delivered at a civilian hospital 5 minutes from my house. No regrets there at all.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

The orientation consists of giving you materials on things like diet, prenatal care and I think a book on what happens in the different trimesters. They also have a person that gives a talk about getting tested for STD's since you are pregnant and they recommend it to all expectant mothers. I had already had the blood panel in my pre IVF bloodwork so I didn't pay much attention to it, but I do remember them going over this. The orientation takes place in a conference room and there is about 20 or so other expectant mothers there. They then have you sit with a nurse who asks you some general questions and goes over what blood work they want to have done right away and the nurse schedules your first OB appt. You will not actually see a Dr. at this orientation unless you are having an issues. And do not be surprised but they are only required to get you your first appt. by your 13th week. My first appt. was at 12 weeks and I was pregnant with twins. Unless you are having bleeding or cramping or other issues they don't see the need to see a Dr. until you are almost out of the first trimester.

Now I did see a Dr. that day, but I was having dehydration issues from severe m/s since I was carrying twins, but I was seen through acute care, not a general OB appt. They service a lot of expectant mothers at this location and handle all high risk pregnancies in the area (well at least they did before Belvoir re-did their hospital, they may take high risk now, but they didn't when I delivered 4 years ago), so they just don't have the time to see all these expectant mothers by say week 8.

So if you want to wait to use your local clinic you will probably have to wait that long for your first official OB appt. anyway at Bethesda or even later.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm not positive, but I think it's every other week.  Mine lasted for a couple of hours though.  I hate driving to that hospital though.
  • Options

I made the appointment yesterday for this coming Wednesday.  It's at 9:00am and it's going to take me FOREVER to get there during morning traffic.  My husband is trying to get off work to go with me... keeping fingers crossed!  Thank you to everyone for your great responses!  When I spoke with the woman at Bethesda, she was very nice but did say that the orientation was pretty long.  I am going to see my local doctor at the NHC here in Annapolis just for convenience. 

How is the hospital at Fort Belvoir?  Also, how is Tricare standard?  I'm worried about going off Prime since you have to wait a year to get back on it.  However, it would be great to deliver close to Quantico.

• Options
    imagekristinB602:

I made the appointment yesterday for this coming Wednesday.  It's at 9:00am and it's going to take me FOREVER to get there during morning traffic.  My husband is trying to get off work to go with me... keeping fingers crossed!  Thank you to everyone for your great responses!  When I spoke with the woman at Bethesda, she was very nice but did say that the orientation was pretty long.  I am going to see my local doctor at the NHC here in Annapolis just for convenience. 

How is the hospital at Fort Belvoir?  Also, how is Tricare standard?  I'm worried about going off Prime since you have to wait a year to get back on it.  However, it would be great to deliver close to Quantico.

My only regret is not switching to Standard sooner. Pregnancy is covered 100%. I paid $33 for my hospital stay. All well baby visits are covered 100% as well. Anything else is a 15% cost share after you meet your $150 individual deductible, or $300 family deductible. In addition, the first 60 days after birth are covered 100% for the baby as long as the claim is received within that 60 days. 

Is your appointment for orientation or prenatal care? If it is for orientation, don't take your DH. It would be a waste of his time. Nothing happens that he needs to be present for. Space is often limited as well. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"