VBAC
Options

My body is broken :

I had to have a CS with my first after many hours of labor. They called it arrested labor: I dilated to about a 4/5 then nothing. I was really hoping for a VBAC, but at 39 weeks my body has made zero progress. My cervix is still high and tight, no dilating.

My dr is encouraging, but warned me today that sometimes it's just not meant to be. I still have some time, he will let me go at least another week before we have to make a decision. I'm just not feeling very hopeful.

I just feel so crushed. Obviously I will do what I have to for my baby, and a CS is not the end of the world. I just feel like my body is broken and I want it to work : It's so hard to put into words but I know some of you will understand what I mean. Thanks for listening!

Re: My body is broken :

• Options

What does your doctor mean by "it's not meant to me"?  As in, if they don't c/s you, the baby would never come out?  Or that the baby just isn't coming on their timeline?

I know it is frustrating.  Try to relax the rest of the pregnancy and hopefully things will get going.  My cervix was completely high and tight until labor started for me.  So, that really doesn't mean anything.  Try not to let it get to you! (Easier said than done, I know.)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options

I feel EXACTLY the same way.  I spent all day crying yesterday because my DD2 is still frank breech.

I think part of the reason I was so excited to pregnant again was that I would be a knowledgeable mom who could "do it right" this time only to "fail" again.  I am having a hard time dealing with it.  I know I have to but it doesn't make me feel any less broken.

Add to that I am studying to be a doula and feel like such a fraud that I can't even help myself.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Your doctor is being overly pushy. It is completely normal to not have progress until labor starts. It would be great if you could avoid anymore vaginal exams. They are meaningless. 

I suggest getting a Mommy to be spa day if you can. A nice prenatal massage with a nice pedicure pushing on all those good pressure points.   

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options

After my c/s the OB told me my cervix was defective and I would never have a vaginal birth, because it was dilating abnormally--only on the outer part of cervix.  I never had a cervix check until labor with my second but my first check in labor I was only 1cm, although I was 100% effaced so MW was able to stretch me to 3cm.  I had a VBAC.

Totally normal to have no progress until labor, or even after some labor.  Your doc is right that VBAC doesn't always happen but there's no reason for you to get discouraged about it at this point. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You're right, I shouldn't get discouraged yet! I just felt like a mom failure after the first delivery, maybe my expectations for 2 are too high.

And like I said my dr is very encouraging. I did a ton of research, and he's the guy for the job. I think he just doesn't want me to get my hopes up too high, and I can respect that. There are lots of reasons women have csections, and unfortunately sometimes it's not correctable in subsequent pregnancies. BUT I am only 39w and a lot can happen pretty quickly at this point. My fingers are crossed!
  • Options
    imagejennabird37:

I feel EXACTLY the same way.  I spent all day crying yesterday because my DD2 is still frank breech.

I think part of the reason I was so excited to pregnant again was that I would be a knowledgeable mom who could "do it right" this time only to "fail" again.  I am having a hard time dealing with it.  I know I have to but it doesn't make me feel any less broken.

Add to that I am studying to be a doula and feel like such a fraud that I can't even help myself.

I don't want to threadjack (especially since I mostly just lurk here), but I thought it was worth mentioning that I had a doula when DD was born (by c-section) and she had a c-section with her first baby too. It was nice to know that it really can happen to anyone and that she wasn't judging me. I think your experience will likely make you a better doula than you will already be!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"