Georgia Babies

Did you take a breast feeding class?

I have read several books and am now debating taking a class. This is so important to me and I really want it to work. Just wondering if the classes are going to be a repeat of what i have read.  Is it just something I have to experience and work through or is it something I can prepare for with classes?

After 6 long years of TTC and a traumatic birth... I finally got to hold my baby in my arms!

'Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.'Psalm 37:4

2006 start TTC

2007 Start w/ RE (Endo and MFI previous marriage)/ 2008 Vericocele surgery/3 clomid cycles
2009 Lap removed stage III endo/ 2 failed IUI/ Divorce

2011 Remarried
October 2011 Dx: Endo & DOR/ November 2011- clomid & TI cycle
January 2012 IVF~  Flare protocol 10 ER/ 9 mature fertilized with ICSI/ ET- 2 Grade A Blasts/ 4 frozen= BFN
Febuary 2012- -Endo Biopsy/  MTHFR diagnosis
March 8- FET 2 grade A blasts= BFP!!!!

November 2012-  Charles was born by emergency C-Section

Dealing with:
Stage III Endo/ DOR/ MTHFR two mutations C677T & A1298C

Currently TTC #2  FET planned January 2014

Re: Did you take a breast feeding class?

• I just realized it's been 6 years since I took my bf class.  Wow!  I took a 3 hour class and I'm glad I did.  I learned a lot and the lady who taught it was very involved in the la leche league so she knew her stuff.  I highly recommend that you take your dh with you.  Believe it or not, mine was the ONLY husband to show up and there was probably around 20 ladies there.  The teacher praised Ryan for being there.  She said it was important for the dads to know what's going on and if there is anyway that they can help the mom (hand baby to them, burping, etc.).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took the one at Piedmont.  It was definitely helpful as a first-timer. 

EDD 1/8/10 - our sweet sunshine DD born 12/30/09
    EDD 2/15/14 - Stillbirth at 21 wks 10/02/13
    EDD 8/12/15 - MMC 1/12/15
    EDD 12/24/15

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• Loading the player...
  • We took the one for couples at Northside and it was very helpful--especially for DH because he had a greater understanding of the challenges right off the bat.  Also, request a lactation consultant at the earliest possible juncture because once the baby comes the "hands on" help addresses the specific issues you/the baby may be having while the class is more general.

• I took one through WellStar. It was informative, and helped with the basics. Definitely worth doing, IMO.

It's also good to get "hands on" training before the baby gets here. Granted, you'll still have many many questions once he's here, but it's still good to know what I expect going into it.
    Abigail Taylor 09.18.2008

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I did.  I was VERY into breastfeeding and making it work.  However, I ended up deciding that I didn't learn a terribly valuable amount of info in the class.  I learned much more from the lactation consultants in the hospital, and from people after the babies were here.  The classes are good for general knowledge, but you won't really know what you need to learn about/fix until the baby gets here.  For example, I needed lots of help positioning and latching with E.  I needed the hands-on help from a nurse or LC.  I learned about different positions in the class, but most of them I was already somewhat familiar with.  I just got a lot more help out of the LC after the girls were born.  There's also a group that meets weekly at Dekalb Medical Center that is for new breast-feeding moms and is led by a LC and is free (I think).  You bring your baby with you and get lots of help.  Bottom line, if you think it will make you more comfortable, go for the class.  If not, you will have plenty of time to learn and practice with the actual baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did take the one through Northside and took the class at the Northside medical buildings off Milton Pkwy.  Best class I ever took.  They have baby dolls there and teach you how to hold the different positions correctly.  So glad I took that class.
  • We took the class through Northside hospital.  Got some good info, and was glad we took it, but we also got some good laughs later because some things just don't work the way they tell you they will!   But that's life, right?  

I do wish they would have told us things like that your baby may only eat for 5 minutes (or for much longer) and that's ok.  Or things like cluster feeding, growth spurts, etc.  

• No, but I wish I would have. Breastfeeding is NOT easy... Go armed with as much knowledge as possible!

• I didn't take one but it probably would have been a good idea. I learned a lot from the lactation consultants in the hospital though. I also spent a lot of time on kellymom.com after the baby got here. BF can be very time consuming and exhausting so it is a good idea to have as much info as possible before baby arrives. I also want to add that the first six weeks are the hardest. If you can make it through those six weeks it gets soooo much easier. Or at least that is how it was for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I felt that the class what a duplicate of what I had already read but it was INVALUABLE for DH. It totally made him a believer and he was my biggest supporter. So for that reason alone, I'm so glad we took that class!

• We did a couples BF class at Northside. It was SO helpful and I am really glad DH took it with me.  I would definitely do it.
    Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • I took the class at Northside and thought it was a very informative. Then had a LC while in the hospital with both boys. I say do both just so you feel well informed. No one tells you all the in's and out's until baby arrives and you're in the experience.
  • imageslwprincess:
    I felt that the class what a duplicate of what I had already read but it was INVALUABLE for DH. It totally made him a believer and he was my biggest supporter. So for that reason alone, I'm so glad we took that class!

I agree 100%! Take your DH! Mine was a small class but everyone had their husband there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"