Georgia Babies

Formula question?

I'm primarily BFing, but we do supplement some if I haven't been able to pump enough or in time for a feeding. And I don't have a freezer stash either for the days that I am working, so DH needs some formula on those days. So far we have only given him regular Similac Advanced that were samples. I have other samples of Similac sensitive, Enfamil newborn, and regular Enfamil infant. Do you think its ok to give him these for the occasional bottle or will it upset his stomach? So far he doesn't seem to care if he has BM or formula and it doesn't seem to make a difference in his diapers or make him fussy or anything, but I don't want to change that or push my luck. Once I had to switch Owen to formula, I only gave him one kind of formula and I was too nervous to try and change him to anything else. I just don't know if that was really necessary or if I was just being an overly cautious first time Mom.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Formula question?

• I used what they gave me from the hospital and then switched to target brand. He only got an occasional formula bottle or a bm/formula mix when I didn't pump enough. I didnt want to switch around for fear it would upset baby's belly.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've always just used one type of formula.  I do think it's probably best to stick to one but not required.  I would just say that if you do give him different kinds and notice anything off (reflux, blood in stool, fussiness, etc) then you'll have to go through some processes of elimination to figure out which one was the cause.  
    Mommy to Abigail Elizabeth (11/4/11) and Brady Jasper (7/2/09)
    my blog
  • Loading the player...
  • With Matthew I always stuck with one. With Tyler initially I interchanged between Enfamil and Similac samples but it was for only 12 bottles per day. Now that he's getting more I stick with one to be safe. I've read where others have interchanged between kinds with no issues but I never wanted to get into a situation and baby isn't happy.
  • I stuck w/ similac or the target version of similac. I was too chicken to switch it up. Both my kids went back and forth between breast and bottle with no issues. I was just too afraid to try anything that might mess up that balance.

• My kids don't seem to be too particular or get upset stomachs. I switch it up due to samples. We mainly use Costco brand formula...no idea what it is like. but we've also mixed in similac powder & ready to feed (from hosptial), enfamil ready to feed, and the 4oz packets of formula as emergencies in my diaper bag. No changes in stomach, gas, etc. But my kids just don't seem sensitive. If you try it and not a change, I'd stop. But if you think they aren't sensitive, might as well use the stuff up.
    Our Photo Site
    James - July 4, 2010
    Sam - June 21, 2012
  • I also was too scared to switch.  He was given Similac in the hospital so we stuck with that but one day I tried the Enfamil.  He threw it all up and then some so I never switched again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"