Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

Dealing with 911 C-section?

We're going the all-natural delivery route.  If she has to have an emergency C-section our hospital won't let me in the OR because she didn't have an epidural. This is one of my biggest fears about delivery day.  Besides trying to relax, staying calm, and pacing the hospital like a caged animal, are there other helpful insights out there?

Thanks!

Re: Dealing with 911 C-section?

• Options
    imageNo112thman:

We're going the all-natural delivery route.  If she has to have an emergency C-section our hospital won't let me in the OR because she didn't have an epidural. This is one of my biggest fears about delivery day.  Besides trying to relax, staying calm, and pacing the hospital like a caged animal, are there other helpful insights out there?

Thanks!

Wait... what? No epi? What are they going to use then, general? I've never heard of hospitals not allowing the husbands in - that sucks :( ! Try not to worry about it. Having a doula REALLY helped my hubby though. My hospital was really cool and had a volunteer doula program - we actually planned to have a natural birth and then turned high risk in the last few months and ended up having a 4 day labor and a c-section at the end of hours of pushing. He was having a hard time but the doula helped and he was really glad she was there to explain and help him through a lot of the stress.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Sorry to butt in I am not a dad. I had a planned c-section (my first one was an emergency) They were unable to place my spinal, and I ended up going under general. My husband was not in the room for the actual c-section but was brought in as soon as she was out. They were still sewing me up.

Often times, what people call an emergency c-section is really just an unplanned c-section. With my first daughter we both got very sick after a very long labor, and she was out within 5 min. I had become septic and my organs were failing. My temp was 105.  A regular c-section would take much longer. So if you end up with a c-section because labor is not progressing, but no one is under distress, there may be time for a spinal. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJessicaanne_1@yahoo.com:

Sorry to butt in I am not a dad. I had a planned c-section (my first one was an emergency) They were unable to place my spinal, and I ended up going under general. My husband was not in the room for the actual c-section but was brought in as soon as she was out. They were still sewing me up.

Often times, what people call an emergency c-section is really just an unplanned c-section. With my first daughter we both got very sick after a very long labor, and she was out within 5 min. I had become septic and my organs were failing. My temp was 105.  A regular c-section would take much longer. So if you end up with a c-section because labor is not progressing, but no one is under distress, there may be time for a spinal. 

Wow, you poor thing. Glad everything was ok!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I've had 2 emegerncy c-sections. Both under general and my DH was not allowed on the OR for #1 and for #2 he was allowed in after the baby was out and they were sewing me up.

He did just fine.  The hardest part for his was waiting during #1. He said that he just prayed and waited for word things were okay.  Because of the c-section he got to see the babies before I did so he spent the time with me in recovery keeping the babies company and watching the nurses work.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am not a dad either but I had to have emergency c-section under general because my blood levels were dangerously low. As far as I know my husband stayed calm, the only time he got worried was right after I went to the OR and he kept getting conflicting information about whether he could go in or not. He was worried that he was suppose to be with me but he was not suppose to be. My daughter was taken to recovery right after and my husband was the first to see her and hold her. I do not remember much of the night because of the anesthesia meds but my husband was right at my bedside. I think for me the biggest thing was that I had a birth envisioned and it totally went out the window. I was very emotional (sure hormones did not help) because he could not be there to see the birth or cut the cord. There was not skin to skin and immediate breastfeeding. Looking back, DD is now 4 months, my husband was very reassuring about how it was okay that things happened the way they did and it did not make me any less of a mother. I had a very rough time after my DD for two weeks, I was very weak and sick, my husband was very helpful with cooking and helping take care of the baby. Sorry for the ramble, guess what I am trying to say is that I felt like a failure for how my delivery went but my husband made sure that I knew that I was not and that it did not matter how things happened at the end of the day we were blessed with a beautiful daughter.
  • Options
    imagedevotchka81:
    imageNo112thman:

Thanks!

Wait... what? No epi? What are they going to use then, general? I've never heard of hospitals not allowing the husbands in - that sucks :( ! Try not to worry about it. Having a doula REALLY helped my hubby though. My hospital was really cool and had a volunteer doula program - we actually planned to have a natural birth and then turned high risk in the last few months and ended up having a 4 day labor and a c-section at the end of hours of pushing. He was having a hard time but the doula helped and he was really glad she was there to explain and help him through a lot of the stress.

they would have to put her under general and she would be out for about an hour. They can have the baby out in 30 seconds if they have to. I hate to say it but this is why some women have an epi is so they dont have to worry about being put under. I hope you have a happy and healthy baby with a no frills delivery. :)

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"