March 2012 Moms

Are we really behind with intro to solids?~

Wow...I think we are the ONLY people that still dont have baby on solids yet! Huh?

LO just doesnt seem interested in food or water yet. Example- We tried giving him some mushed bananna last night and he pretty much spit it out. When I try to give him water, he just plays with it and spits it out.

Is my LO the only one not really interested if food other than BM?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage

Re: Are we really behind with intro to solids?~

• Mine really isn't either. I try twice everyday though. He will eat maybe one or two spoons buuuuut he isn't all that excited about it. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Pushing it out is a natural reflex that they lose eventually. Until then, solids just won't work. Solids poo is nasty so enjoy life a little longer :
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Don't worry your not the only one, I am with you! We haven't given DD anything other than BM and the occasional juice. My daughter's peditrician didn't want us to give her anything until 6 months. We are going to totally skip rice cereal though.
  • We just stated solids other then rice cereal two week ago. So your not too far behind : our doc wanted us to wait till 6 months we just started two weeks before

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Our doc suggested we start at 4 months but he just wasn't into it. We started seriously in the last 2 weeks but he could still give or take it. I do once a day in the afternoon and next week I'm going to do morning and afternoon. He's eating more and more, though so it is improving but it's just slow going. He'd definitely rather lay in my lap and let me feed him a bottle!

• We just started last night because I wanted her to have a good 2 weeks in before her 6 month appointment so we can talk about how it's going.

DS refused to ever eat anything off a spoon.  We tried off and on from about 5-7 months and our pedi told us some kids just never eat baby food.  So we did baby led weaning with him instead (started at about 7 months).  This is a great website about it if it's something you're interested in:

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyledweaning.htm

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We tried solids for the first time last night. Dd was not that interested. She kept pushing it back out with her tongue.
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• the first few times they spit it out and don't really like it. DS has been on solids since 4 months, but he doesn't like bananas at all. He loves carrots and apples. Also I noticed if the puree is to thick, he will not want it, I have to add formula to thin it out, so it's a little soupy, and he loves it that way.

I tried BLW with DS the other day and he is not interested in that at all, the only food he will grab and eat are apples, anything else goes to the floor, to the dogs, so I am going to stick with purees for a few more months.

Just keep trying maybe just once a day, try to find something he likes, but it does take a few tries. Took us a few weeks before DS was used to eating with spoon.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • We just started two weeks ago with cereal. I started some veggies this week in the afternoon. He will eat it but only a few spoonfuls and then is done. He still isn't that interested in what we are eating except that he always wants my water jug.

BFP with #2- Sept 6, 2013  EDD May 20, 2014   MC Sept 26, 2013 @ 6 wks 2 days

• We only started this weekend with a bite or two of cereal. DS will be 6m on Friday. I am in no rush; solids are a PITA and I wanted him EBF until 6m anyway.
    DS 04.25.08 DS 03.14.12 missed m/c 9w1d :: 6.18.10 :: d&c | missed m/c 9w3d :: 11.2.10 :: d&c
  • We introduced solids a bit early. His pedi thought it would help with his acid reflux, which it did. It also coats his stomach so well he has been STTN since having solids.

Our LO would push the food out of his mouth too but after a while he caught on and now does great. It just depends on the child and circumstances on when solids should be introduced. If your child is doing well and gaining weight on milk I wouldn't introduce solids until the dr told me to.
  • imagekmhunt11:
    Solids poo is nasty so enjoy life a little longer :

Lol, so true.

I think if he's not showing interest, then he's not ready. You could try giving him big (so he can't swallow them) slices of fruit or veggies... that's what we started with - cucumber, apple, nectarine, carrot, etc. That way they can suck on it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Thank you everyone!! I feel so much better knowing we are not alone! I love having a little baby :)

Gotta say...i am super blessed to have all of you for support!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • We didn't start until right after DS turned 6 months old.  We skipped oatmeal and went right to veggies.  We started with sweet potatoes (I steamed and then pureed them) which he LOVED!  He didn't really like bananas the first couple of times, but by the 4th day or so, he liked them a bit better.  We did avocado which went well and now we're on to green beans which he couldn't get enough of last night.

I think bananas are kind of tough to start with (my daycare lady said she found this to be true with her own children as well as some of the babies she's watched over the years) because the texture is almost sort of slimy when you mash them up.  You might do a little better with a different food.  Obviously every kid is different but my DS seems to prefer a bit of texture rather than the more liquidy purees. 

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • We haven't tried solids yet. Connor turns 6m on Friday so we'll probably try rice cereal this weekend. I have been trying to give him water the last couple of days but he just pushes it out with his tongue.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                    Anniversary
  • We started at 6 months. We started with two weeks of rice cereal.  The first week he was not sure what to do.  The second week he picked it up.  We have been introducing one veggie every 3 days.  We have done peas, squash and green beans.
  • Mine isnt interested either.  she just spits it back out or throws up whatever she does get down.
  • We haven't even tried yet we are I reducing cereal on Sunday her 6 m bday
    Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"