Dads & Dads-to-be

Problems With Delivery - Need Your Opinions Please

My wife and I were expecting our fourth child.  Of course, we were happy and looking forward to Levi coming.  Below is a list of what took place.  What I would like is your guys (and girls) opinions on how things were handled (both from the hospital's standpoint and the doctor's).  Thanks in advance.

1) Saturday, September 8 - My wife had not felt the baby move in quite a while and had already been experiencing some contractions.  We immediately came to the hospital, at which time they took her to a family suite where she and the baby could be monitored.  Baby was fine, the NST showed a few contractions, but not enough to keep her.

2) Sunday, September 9 - At about 2:00 AM, my wife started experiencing much stronger contractions to the point she could not walk through them.  We called the doctor who said to go to the hospital.  We went, and again, she was taken to a family suite (a room in which she would labor, deliver, and stay).  The doctor ordered Nubain and said to watch her for a while.  After about two hours, the contractions had pretty much stopped, and we were once again sent home.

3) Monday, September 10 - At about 2:00 AM, my wife started the contraction once again, this time the contractions apart about 3 minutes.  When we got to the hospital after having the doctor telling us to do so, my wife was taken to a triage room much smaller and not nearly as nice as one of the 16 family suites (many of which were vacant).  The nurse checked my wife and noted she was about 3 centimeters and 60% effaced, and that the cervix still had quite a ways to go.  The doctor wanted to give Nubain again, but we declined. Instead, we walked the halls of the labor area, which seemed to increase the severity of the contractions.  The nurse checked my wife again at 4:45 AM and noted she was about 3.5 centimeters, 90% effaced and that the cervix had made quite a movement.  She called the doctor who said to continue to monitor her, and that he was not sure she was really in true labor yet.

At this point, the contractions began to really pick up in intensity, were closer together (1-1.5 minutes, +125 on NST monitor).  My wife at this time was begging for relief to me (as there were never any nurses in the room except at my request).  We finally got the nurse into the triage room (where we remained still) and we requested that she be checked again (this was about 5:30 AM). The nurse refused and said that she could not check her again, and left the room for us to be alone.  My wife finally got to the point where she was screaming at the top of her lungs, yet no nurse came into the room (although the nurses station was right next to this triage room).  I had to leave her alone to go and plead with a nurse to come and help.  This particular nurse said that my wife was not her patient, but that she would get our nurse.  

Five minutes passed, no nurse came in and my wife was begging for help and saying that our son was coming, that she wanted to push.  Still no nurse came in.  I left her alone again to tell the nurses at the station I had a lot more respect for my wife than I did for them, as they were not listening to a woman who had three children already. 

Finally, "our" nurse came in and did not seem in any way to sympathize with my wife regarding the pain she was in, but finally and reluctantly agreed to check my wife.  My wife at this point was on an old hospital bed that was much narrower than a regular labor bed, sitting.  The nurse instructed her to lay down, which at this point was excruciating to my wife.  However, my wife knew this was the only way she was going to be checked.  As she was starting to lay down, the nurse made a movement to start checking my wife, at which time my wife's water broke.  The nurse was completely startled and saw our son's head.  She proceeds to run out of the room for help (leaving us alone once again).

The nurse who told us we were not her patient then comes in the room.  My wife is begging to push and began to open her legs to do so.  This nurse proceeds to grab her legs and clamp them together and gets in my wife's face and says that we cannot do that yet.  My wife tried to be understanding, but kept telling this nurse that he (our son) was here, that she needed to push, but the nurse continued to clamp her legs and tell us to wait for the doctor (who was still about 45 minutes away).  Finally, after several seconds of begging, the nurse finally releases my wife's legs, at which time (literally about 5-10 seconds) our son's head comes out quickly.

When this took place, I looked at the nurses who were in the room, and I saw panic.  The nurse who saw the head come out, held it for a few seconds, but left his head dangling there for 15-30 seconds while she frantically called for the tools necessary to deliver our son.  Two nurses came to take care of the umbilical cord.  One nurse said to the other "No, you cannot cut the cord until you clamp the cord."  With one quick push, our son, Levi, was born at 6:10 AM. At this point, and thanks only to God, our son and my wife seem to be doing well.  About 45 minutes later, the doctor arrived to deliver the afterbirth, and to give my wife one stitch.  This was his only part of our son being born.

Here are the things we had to see, hear and experience.

1)  My wife delivered in a triage room meant only for early labor observation.  She was told if she progressed enough, she would be allowed to go to a family suite to receive pain medication and to deliver in a better environment.

2)  My wife delivered without a doctor being present.  To our knowledge,  no other doctor was called within the hospital to come and assist.

3)  My wife was admitted to the hospital as a patient and asked to sign the consent forms hours after she had already delivered.

4)  My wife's vital signs (temperature, blood pressure) were checked only once the whole time from 2:30 - 6:10 AM.  This is with a woman who had told she was on the doorstep of pre-eclampsia.

5)  When it became apparent she was in true labor, I had to be the one time and again to go and ask for the assistance of the nurses.  Not even when she was screaming in pain did they come to check or help.

6)  My wife was denied the chance to be checked for further dilation and effacement.  If she were, the nurses would have been better prepared.

7)  I, thankfully, was the only one to see the panicked looks on the faces of the nurses in the room as my son's head was delivered.

8)  My wife and myself had to watch 5-10 nurses run around looking for all the necessary tools in order for a baby to be delivered (as they were not in the triage room).

9)  Tearfully, I write that our three other children, and my wife's mother and father had to hear my wife screaming in pain (as the triage room was very near the waiting room).  Had she been in a family suite, they would not have been subjected to hearing that. 

10)  My wife, who had planned on receiving some type of pain measures, received none due to the seeming lack of concern on the nurses part.

11)  After having delivered, my wife started normal, but violent shaking and shivering.  At this very time, a nurse asked her to try and keep her arm still so that she could insert an IV.

I have spoken with the head nurse of the labor and delivery area (who was not there at the time of labor or delivery).  I have spoken with the president of the hospital.  At this time, while both of them seem to understand our issues, they do not seem to be in a hurry to take responsibility for what was done.

I would like to see if any of you have had an experience similar to ours, and whether or not the hospital's or doctor's actions rise to the level of medical negligence or malpractice.

I routinely am not one who even think of such matters, nor am I one who let's an event like this fester too long.  It has been little over 50 hours now since our son was born, and with each passing hour, I find myself growing more agitated with what took place.

If you do not mind, would you please share your thoughts.  Thanks. 

Re: Problems With Delivery - Need Your Opinions Please

• That sounds like a horrible ordeal. I applaud you for the self control that you exhibited during that time. I am not so certain I would have been able to maintain such a clam as you were able to.

My wife went through two days of inducing, not a fun ordeal at all, and during those two days our nurse was constantly in our room...at least every 15 minutes or so. Her vitals were being recorded around the clock, even during our sleeping periods. It is because of that attention that we chose the hospital where our son was born.

The pain management part of this is what was so disturbing to me. That and the obvious lack of communication that was apparent among the nurses that were present. As far as a doctor not being there for the actual delivery, that happens all the time, so I am not sure that anything can be done about that. The doctor was only present for about 3 minutes before our son popped out!

I certainly would have a word with the hospital leaders to educate them on the events that took place with you guys. I would think that this is probably happening regularly, based on what you wrote, and any hospital executive who is worth anything will recognize how damaging that can be to their organization.

As far as a lawsuit, I do not think you would have very good success taking that path. It never hurts to have a lawyer hear your story, but hospitals have their own, high paid lawyers who only focus on these types of cases. I would be very leary about entering into that fight.

I am glad that mother and baby are healthy...to me, that is the most important thing coming out of the hell you went through.

• Loading the player...
  • imagesadsadie:
    PRESS CHARGES!!! 

For what?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Um charges? OK whatevs

Anywho.  Find out who the hospital's accrediting agencys is (Joint commision etc) and lodge a complaint formally.  Contact your insurance provider (my guess is they will charge for things they didn't do-and they shouldn't get paid for it).  Contact your local news "on your side" team.   I

• Heads need to roll! 

Document everything to the T.

Get the medical records of your wife and child.

Contact a malpractice attorney to review your case.

My dad was in the hospital for 6 months last year. He almost died in the ER b/c doctors weren't paying him the attention he need. This isn't our opinion. Another doctor pulled my mom aside in confidence and told her this. He was on the brinks of death and his bed was used in the corner if the ER and the doctors did t pay him any attention for 6 hours! Due to this, he lost the function of his liver, kidneys, gallbladder. We even documented 4 different occasions in which we found our dad sitting is dried poop that the nurses acknowledge at least three hours previous. Part of the reason he was so sick was due to infections. Two of the infections he got during his 6 month stay. 

We are pursuing a case against the hospital. My dad to this day (1 yr.. Later) still struggles to just get by. It sucks. Hospitials suck and they need to be made accountable. Your job is to be your wife and child's advocate. Be string. Don't give up and fight for what is right!  

• Heads need to roll! 

Document everything to the T.

Get the medical records of your wife and child.

Contact a malpractice attorney to review your case.

My dad was in the hospital for 6 months last year. He almost died in the ER b/c doctors weren't paying him the attention he need. This isn't our opinion. Another doctor pulled my mom aside in confidence and told her this. He was on the brinks of death and his bed was used in the corner if the ER and the doctors did t pay him any attention for 6 hours! Due to this, he lost the function of his liver, kidneys, gallbladder. We even documented 4 different occasions in which we found our dad sitting is dried poop that the nurses acknowledge at least three hours previous. Part of the reason he was so sick was due to infections. Two of the infections he got during his 6 month stay. 

We are pursuing a case against the hospital. My dad to this day (1 yr.. Later) still struggles to just get by. It sucks. Hospitials suck and they need to be made accountable. Your job is to be your wife and child's advocate. Be strong. Don't give up and fight for what is right!  

• I am so sorry that this happened with your delivery.  It sounds like it was a very trying experience for you and your wife.

I would contact the Joint Commission as a PP mentioned.  I work for a hospital and JC is responsible for accredidations and you can register the complaint and they will investigate it.  https://www.jointcommission.org/report_a_complaint.aspx  Around my hospital JC is taken very, very seriously and if they were called in to investigate action would be taken. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I thought I would take the time to let you all know what has happened since the delivery.  Our son developed blood sugar problems and has been confined to the special care nursery since Monday afternoon.  He is on IV's to try and help regulate his blood sugar levels.  Yesterday, as we were visiting our son in the SCN, my wife became visibly sick.  I had to take her to the ER downstairs, where she was diagnosed with a UTI.  Her blood pressure was extremely high.  Last night, the mental toll of what took place and how it took place began to catch up to my wife. She was constantly experiencing dreadful and doom thoughts, once telling me she loved me in a way like it was going to be the last time she did so.  She seems to be doing some better now, our son is still on IV's at this time.  Just thought I would update since you asked. 
  • imagelpingii:
    I thought I would take the time to let you all know what has happened since the delivery.  Our son developed blood sugar problems and has been confined to the special care nursery since Monday afternoon.  He is on IV's to try and help regulate his blood sugar levels.  Yesterday, as we were visiting our son in the SCN, my wife became visibly sick.  I had to take her to the ER downstairs, where she was diagnosed with a UTI.  Her blood pressure was extremely high.  Last night, the mental toll of what took place and how it took place began to catch up to my wife. She was constantly experiencing dreadful and doom thoughts, once telling me she loved me in a way like it was going to be the last time she did so.  She seems to be doing some better now, our son is still on IV's at this time.  Just thought I would update since you asked. 

Just be strong and focus on what you can do for your family right now. That is our job as husbands. If your wife sees you strong, she will feed of that strength.

I cannot imagine seeing my little Jacob in that position. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers over the weekend. Just take care of your family as best you can, and make sure you eat when you get a chance to, and drink tons of water to keep your energy level manageable. You still have to take care of yourself as you take care of your family.

• imagefyrefairie:

Um charges? OK whatevs

Anywho.  Find out who the hospital's accrediting agencys is (Joint commision etc) and lodge a complaint formally.  Contact your insurance provider (my guess is they will charge for things they didn't do-and they shouldn't get paid for it).  Contact your local news "on your side" team.   I

I agree with this one!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What I would do is talk to an attorney to see if you have a case most lawfirms offer free consultations.

• This is wrong so so so SO wrong. I am a nurse and there is no way this would happen to one of my patients. Im so angry for her. Im guessing the On call Dr thought she would be sent home again and didnt take her seriously.

I am glad your baby is healthy and I am sorry you didnt have a better birth experience.

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • sue sue sue sue sue sue sue!!!!!

Sue for improper medical attention, pain and suffering and INCOMPETENCE!!

Expect MIRACLES!! Shocking surprise BFP 9/12/12 After 2 IUIs, 3 IVFs w/ICSI and 1 FET we have been blessed with a healthy baby girl born 26 August 2010! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am a Labor and Delivery RN. I don't think you have a lawsuit, because no harm was caused. However, I do think from what you explained, that she should have been checked and admitted sooner. A change in dilation, is the definition of labor.

The shaking after is NORMAL, everyone shakes, some more than others, some before delivery and some after. Getting an accurate blood pressure following delivery at least every 15 minutes is very important and it is difficult to get a blood pressure when they are shaking. I often hold their arm still myself. A fist sign of bleeding to much would be an drop in BP and increase in heart rate, both are difficult to get accurately if the mom is shaking.

I would call the hospital's risk management department and tell them what happened. They are the ones that deal with patient complaints.

Also, the screaming is also something that you hear in a Labor and Delivery unit. Some woman scream during labor, although if a patient is screaming in Triage, I would think they would run to the bedside and check her.

Your other children and family in the waiting room hearing her scream might be upsetting to you, but as a labor nurse I have a question. Why on earth were your other children there in the middle of the night? I always discourage bringing your other children to the hospital until after the baby is born. It is scary and confusing for them to hear or see their mother in pain, they don't understand it.

The blood sugar issue with the baby has nothing to do with the mismanagement of your wife's labor. Is she a diabetic, or a gestational diabetic?

Did she have pre-eclampsia with the other pregnancies?

• All,

Again, I thought I may update.  I appreciate all of the replies.

I go back and forth as far as "suing" or "litigation."  I realize that at this time, there are no problems stemming from the experience in delivery.  That is not to say anything in the future (mostly to our son) might take place.  I have been told by several medical experts this is a possibility.

I wanted to address a couple of you regarding our children.  They were not there for the duration of the event.  In fact, they were there for the final 15-20 minutes. I wanted them there as Levi came so they could share that moment.  I agree, they should not have been there for entire duration, and they were not, nor would they have been in the room while she was laboring, as I agree that might raise other issues.

My wife, two days after delivery had to be taken to the ER.  Her legs were extremely swollen, she was shaking and her blood pressure was extremely high. They diagnoses her with a UTI.  She was put on antibiotics.

I realize that every woman goes through some sort of post-partum depression/blues, although my wife has never experienced it with our other three children.  I really feel strongly though that this particular experience raised (highly) the post-partum stress, and that is a big part of the hard part for me to see.

Just wanted to update, and to address some of the concerns you guys had.

Thanks guys! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"