LGBT Parenting
Options

Good Resources?

Hi. I am a new member and my partner and i are new to trying to conceive. Not sure about you all, but I have really struggled with finding information about this whole process. There is alot of information out there, but it doesn't seem to be for lesbians, exclusively. Does anyone have any good websites for finding information on lesbian conception? Are there any good blogs by lesbians who have conceived? The more I can read the better as I like to be as informed as possible. So far I have only found a few forums and a blog that is a personal story about a couple trying to conceive. It has some good tips I think, but would be interested if anyone else thinks it is an accurate account as I know everyone has different experiences. This is the link. https://lesbianfamily.weebly.com/

Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences as it really helps to know you aren't alone.  

Re: Good Resources?

• Options

Welcome!

When we were first planning, I looked online for resources but found the most helpful info in books.  I read "The Ultimate Guide to Pregnancy for Lesbians" by Rachel Pepper (which I like, but needs to be taken with a grain of salt--her main qualification is that she's a lesbian who had a baby.  But still, it's pretty thorough and geared specifically to lesbians.)

I also read some non-lesbian-specific books - "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" was particularly helpful, but I also purchased and perused a few other "how to get pregnant" type books.

When we started actively trying, the most helpful info came from our sperm bank and the community forum there--we used NW Cryobank and I can't say enough good things about them!  Incredibly easy to work with, super helpful staff, good donor selection, affordable (compared to some other banks) and a great online community of clients.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Also The New Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy and Birth by Stephanie Brill, and check the FAQ up there under the board name - the link is tiny, but full of helpful info :)
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much! I will check the book out for sure.
  • Options
    Do you know if anyone can access the community forum or do you have to have an account (for people who use that bank)? Thank you for the help!
  • Options
    I read the books and recommend you read them too, but honestly I think I learned the most about the lesbian specific stuff from reading here. Go back and read old posts. Also, a lot of the straight ttc information really does apply to us too. Most of the blogs I read are well into the toddler stages and are more about parenting and life than ttc. Good luck.
    TTC with PCOS since July 2011.
    IVF Oct/Nov 2012
    Beta #1 = 77, Beta #2 = 190, Beta #3 = 1044
    Cautiously optimistic.
  • Options

Welcome and best wishes on your TTC process!

I agree with kershnic that the best information I received was from this board. Feel free to ask questions anytime, there is a wealth of information here.

Depending on how you're going to TTC, you might like the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. That really helped my wife trust her body and understand the signs of ovulation.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yeah, another vote for Taking Charge of your Fertility - it was the single most helpful book we read.  Stephanie Brill's book was also very helpful to us in navigating finding a known donor.

I also like this relatively new website, which discusses both conception and non-pregnancy options for building a family.

https://itsconceivablenow.com/ 

Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.
    AMH 0.5, AFC 5-8, FSH 7ish

IVF #1 - antagonist.  Empty follicle syndrome.  1 retrieved, 0 fertilized.
    IVF #2 - antagonist.  Ovulated early.  3 retrieved, 2 fertilized, 0 blasts
  • Options

imagesandf:
    Do you know if anyone can access the community forum or do you have to have an account (for people who use that bank)? Thank you for the help!

You don't have to have an account with the bank, but you do have to set up an account on the forum.  They are linked, but kind of separate, if that makes sense.  Anyway, the link to the forum is https://iamtryingtoconceive.com

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"