Postpartum Depression
Options

Just got "diagnosed"

Hi all, I just found out today that I have PPD. That is not what I was expecting to hear considering my LO is already 16 months old, I didn't think it was something that lasted that long. I just started seeing a counseler for the first time, and will hopefully start being happy again soon. Mind if I ask how long it took for you to feel normal again/what things you are doing to help yourself? Thank you! :)

(Oh, I'm a stay at home mom that nannies another LO 3 days a week and does Passion Parties on the weekends)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Just got "diagnosed"

• Options

I am taking medication and it took about 6 weeks before I felt better, however that was due to the fact that the first medication I was on didn't work. Once I got on the right meds I felt better in less than 2 weeks. I also was seeing a counselor, but haven't in close to a month. Beyond the therapy and meds there wasn't much else that I did, well besides stop beating myself up about how I felt. I finally started enjoyed LO.

I hope you start to feel better soon! I know going on walks and getting out also helps. Just focus on one thing at a time. I was worried about losing weight but my therapist said to do one thing at a time. So I put that aside until I started feeling better. DH helped me out a lot. Without him I don't know what I would have done.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Options

Hello!

Generally, PPD is diagnosed within the first year PP, however, it can last longer, especially if you've had undiagnosed symptoms before now.  Also, that 12 month time period can be extended if you have breastfed, as weaning can also trigger PPD.  That being said, PPD is not always temporary.  It can turn into clinical depression.  Regardless of whether you have PPD or clinical depression, the important thing is that you have a dianosis and can now start on making yourself better.

As for my experience, I was diagnosed w/ PPD 4 months PP.  I was prescribed Zoloft in increasing increments.  It took about 6 weeks to find the proper dosage for me.  I was worried that the medication would make me feel "artifically" happy, but it didn't.  It really just made me feel "normal" again.

Good luck! 

Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was taking a half pill of Celexa on and off for a few weeks and my doctor told me to start with a full pill this week. So far, this week has been great. I called my husband yesterday and told him I felt weird from the medicine and he was concerned, but I had to explain to him that it was a GOOD weird. I felt normal again. Focused, happy, energetic.

On top of the medicine, staying busy has helped me. Whether it's reading a book after my kids go to bed or working on a craft project ? it seems that anything that makes me feel productive helps. Going for walks definitely helped too! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all for the encouraging words! I will be getting meds tomorrow, but I'm not sure which ones yet. I really hope the REAL me comes back, I'm not sure how much longer my husband will put up with me ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"